TSA understands that threats to aviation security continue to evolve. They are more sophisticated and more complex than ever before. TSA must use every tool at our disposal to address those threats and develop methods of combating them. The use of new and innovative technology helps us stay ahead of those intent on harming our nation.
TSA is constantly moving forward its technology usage, staying ahead emerging threats. We know there's no silver bullet technology, no cure all, no end-all-be-all; but when used by our highly trained workforce and combined with the other layers of security, technology helps close down vulnerabilities.
Our strategy involves more than just screening of all carry-on and checked baggage. We use careful analysis of intelligence to determine where best to deploy our technology resources at airports, in subways, at ports and on rail. Daily vetting of passengers and airport employees against watch lists let us protect the airports. And biometrics help us prevent unauthorized access at our nations' ports. That is only the beginning.
The suite of technology has grown considerably in the years since TSA took over airport security. Everyone remembers the walk through metal detector, which still serves an important function at the checkpoint. You may notice some new and unfamiliar machines at your local airports. This page is your first stop to learning about emerging screening technologies.
- Paperless Boarding Pass: TSA and Airlines Continue to Expand Paperless Boarding Pass Pilot Program
- Biometrics: Raising the bar on security through biometric technology.
- Bottle Liquids Scanners: Flexible technology used to screen accessible property.
- Explosives Detection System: Technology that can be used to screen checked or carry on baggage.
- Explosives Trace Detection: Small, flexible, nimble. This technology tests for traces of explosives.
- Threat Image Projection: Constantly training our TSOs with the latest technology.
- Imaging Technology: More than 740 Adavanced Imaging Technology units deployed at almost 160 airports nationwide.