Federal Flight Deck Officers
Selection for FFDO Training
To be selected for Federal Flight Deck Officer (FFDO) training by TSA you must:
- Successfully complete all selection assessments including any specified background, medical or physical ability requirements.
- Be determined to meet all established standards by the Transportation Security Administration.
- Be available to attend the FFDO training program in its entirety on your own time and at your own expense within one year from your acceptance in the program (the cost of the training and equipment are covered by TSA).
Initial training will be conducted in a one-week session that will typically require volunteers to arrive mid-afternoon on a Sunday and remain through the conclusion of training the following Saturday afternoon.
- All trainees must remain and be present for the entire training session.
- All trainees must attend the training on their own time and at their own expense. The cost of the training and equipment are covered by the TSA. Volunteers are responsible for their own travel costs. The TSA is currently covering the costs of meals and lodging at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center.
- The training is physically demanding. It is recommended that volunteers for the FFDO program be of average to above average physical fitness to avoid any potential for injury. All trainees must participate and successfully pass required bi-annual firearms qualification on their own time and at their own expense (the cost of the training and equipment are covered by TSA).
Successful completion of all training curriculum is required for deputation.