The Federal Air Marshal Service provides training of armed security officers required on approved flights associated with restoration of general aviation and charter flight operations at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA).
The training is designed to better prepare qualified active, retired and former law enforcement officers to act in the event of an in-flight crisis on flights to DCA.
In order to apply, a candidate must be nominated by a company or organization approved as an aircraft operator and have security coordinators listed by the DCA Access Standard Security Program. Nominating companies may also be an airport-based operator approved by TSA.
ASO Program Nomination Form
To be eligible, you must:
- Participate voluntarily.
- Be a U.S. citizen or national.
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Be free from any emotional or mental condition which might adversely affect the exercise of the requirements of the position.
- Have successfully completed a basic law enforcement training certificated program conducted by an entity authorized to train persons to perform as a law enforcement officer.
- Be an active law enforcement officer in good standing; a qualified retired officer; or a qualified former officer in good standing each requiring a minimum of four years law enforcement experience.
- Not have been terminated for cause by a previous law enforcement employer or have had an approval or authorization revoked by TSA, or been subject to a serious disciplinary action by a previous employer.
- Not have had a certification revoked by TSA.
To remain in active status, an armed security officer must re-qualify with their firearm, maintain eligibility through Lautenberg Certification, and maintain a valid class two medical certificate. Armed security officers must also successfully complete recurrent training every five years.
An armed security officer could be reduced to inactive status for failure to comply with the above mentioned guidelines and will not be allowed to serve as an armed security officer on any general aviation or charter flights.
For more information, please email your inquiry or call (703) 487-0044.