Highway and Motor Carrier
TSA is providing these voluntary security practices as measures that should be considered for implementation by motor carriers transporting Tier 1 HSSM and Tier 2 HSSM. If the motor carrier adopts these security practices, TSA recommends that the practices be included in security plans when they are developed, implemented, and revised. The security practices are voluntary to allow highway motor carriers to adopt measures best suited to their particular circumstances provided the measures are consistent with existing regulations, laws, or directives.
The security action items have been divided into four categories 1) general security; 2) personnel security; 3) unauthorized access; and 4) en-route security. General security measures pertain to security threat assessments, security planning, protecting critical information, and awareness of industry security practices. Personnel security and unauthorized access refer to practices affecting the security of the motor carrier's employees, contracted employees, and its property. En-route security refers to the actual movement and handling of motor vehicles containing HSSM.
TSA recognizes that no one solution fits all motor carriers and circumstances. These security action items allow for flexibility in implementation based upon the assessed vulnerability of a particular process or operation. Where appropriate, implementation of these action items to their fullest extent practicable should be the goal of the affected property owner and operator.
TSA plans to monitor the use and effectiveness of these security action items and to revise them as circumstances warrant. TSA encourages members of the affected industry and Federal agencies to provide feedback to TSA Highway and Motor Carrier Division. Questions and comments may be provided to the TSA Highway and Motor Carrier Division at firstname.lastname@example.org
- TSA Clarification on list of Highway Security Sensitive Materials (HSSM)
- Memo from John Sammon to HMC Security Partners dated June 26, 2008
- Appendix A – Description of Voluntary Security Action Items for Tier 1 Highway Security-Sensitive Materials (Tier 1 HSSM) and Tier 2 Highway Security-Sensitive Materials (Tier 1 HSSM) Transported by Motor Carrier
- Attachment 1 to Appendix A - TSA Highway and Motor Carrier Program Guidance for Background Checks for Motor Vehicle Hazmat Employees other than Motor Vehicle Drivers
- Appendix B – List of Tier 1 Highway Security-Sensitive Materials (Tier 1 HSSM) and Tier 2 Highway Security-Sensitive Materials (Tier 2 HSSM) with Corresponding Security Action Items
- User's Guide on Security Seals for Domestic Cargo – This guide provides information on the different types of security seals available for use in securing and controlling containers, doors, and equipment.