U. S. DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
Transportation Security Administration
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has started accepting job applications for part-time security screener jobs with federal benefits at airports in American Samoa, Arkansas, Florida, Iowa, Kansas, Mississippi, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Washington.
"TSA continues its recruiting drive across the country," said David M. Stone, Acting Administrator of TSA. "Additional part-time positions at various airports will assist TSA in keeping wait times to a minimum while providing the highest levels of security and customer service."
The 40 new airport now accepting applications are:
- Pago Pago-American Samoa Airport (PPG), Pago Pago, American Samoa
- Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport (XNA), Bentonville, Ark.
- Orlando International Airport (MCO), Orlando, Fla.
- Orlando Sanford Airport (SFB), Sanford, Fla.
- Pensacola Regional Airport (PNS), Pensacola, Fla.
- St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport (PIE), Clearwater, Fla.
- Tallahassee Regional Airport (TLH), Tallahassee, Fla.
- Tampa International Airport (TPA), Tampa, Fla.
- Des Moines International Airport (DSM), Des Moines, Iowa
- Dubuque Regional Airport (DBQ), Dubuque, Iowa
- Fort Dodge Municipal Airport (FOD), Fort Dodge, Iowa
- Mason City Municipal Airport (MCW), Mason, Iowa
- Southeast Iowa Regional Airport Authority (BRL), Burlington, Iowa
- The Eastern Iowa Airport (CID), Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- Waterloo Municipal Airport (ALO), Waterloo, Iowa
- Dodge City Regional Airport (DDC), Dodge City, Kan.
- Garden City Municipal Airport (GCK), Garden City, Kan.
- Great Bend Municipal Airport (GBD), Great Bend, Kan.
- Liberal Municipal Airport (LBL), Liberal, Kan.
- Salina Municipal Airport (SLN), Salina, Kan.
- Hattiesburg-Laurel Regional Airport (PIB), Moselle, Miss.
- Gulfport-Biloxi International Airport (GPT), Gulfport, Miss.
- Jackson International Airport (JAN), Jackson, Miss.
- Mid Delta Regional Airport (GLH), Greenville, Miss.
- Central Nebraska Regional Airport (GRI), Grand Island, Neb.
- Chadron Municipal Airport (CDR), Chadron, Neb.
- Eppley Airfield (OMA), Omaha, Neb.
- Karl Stefan Memorial Airport (OFK), Norfolk, Neb.
- Lincoln Municipal Airport (LNK), Lincoln, Neb.
- McCook Municipal Airport (MCK), McCook, Neb.
- North Platte Regional Airport (LBF), North Platte, Neb.
- Western Nebraska Regional Airport (BFF), Gering, Neb.
- Ponca City (PNC), Ponca City, Okla.
- Tulsa International Airport (TUL), Tulsa, Okla.
- Charleston International Airport/AFB (CHS), Charleston, S.C.
- Columbia Metropolitan Airport (CAE), West Columbia, S.C.
- Myrtle Beach International Airport (MYR), Myrtle Beach, S.C.
- Grant County Airport (MWH), Moses Lake, Wash.
- Pangborn Memorial Airport (EAT), East Wenatchee, Wash.
- Spokane International Airport (GEG), Spokane, Wash.
TSA continues to recruit part-time screeners at the following airports.
- Burbank-Glendale-Pasadena Airport (BUR), Burbank, Calif.
- John Wayne Airport (SNA), Santa Ana, Calif.
- Long Beach Daugherty Field Airport (LGB), Long Beach, Calif.
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), Los Angeles, Calif.
- Metropolitan Oakland International Airport (OAK), Oakland, Calif.
- Monterey Peninsula Airport (MRY), Monterey, Calif.
- Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC), San Jose, Calif.
- Ontario International Airport (ONT), Ontario, Calif.
- Sacramento International Airport (SMF), Sacramento, Calif.
- San Diego International Airport, Lindbergh (SAN), San Diego, Calif.
- San Luis Obispo County Airport (SBP), San Luis Obispo, Calif.
- Santa Barbara Municipal Airport (SBA), Santa Barbara, Calif.
- Santa Maria Public Airport (SMX), Santa Maria, Calif.
- Alamosa-San Luis Valley Airport/Bergman Field (ALS), Alamosa, Colo.
- Cortez Municipal Airport (CEZ), Cortez, Colo.
- Denver International Airport (DEN), Denver, Colo.
- Durango-La Plata County Airport (DRO), Durango, Colo.
- Eagle County Regional Airport (EGE), Eagle, Colo.
- Yampa Valley Regional Airport (HDN), Hayden, Colo.
- O'Hare International Airport (ORD), Chicago, Ill.
- Wichita Mid-Continent Airport (ICT), Wichita, Kan.
- Lake Charles Regional Airport (LCH), Lake Charles, La.
- Shreveport Regional Airport (SHV), Shreveport, La.
- Logan International Airport (BOS), Boston, Mass.
- Martha's Vineyard Airport (MVY), Vineyard Haven, Mass.
- Nantucket Memorial Airport (ACK), Nantucket, Mass.
- Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI), Columbia, Md.
- Bemidji City County Airport (BJI), Bemidji, Minn.
- Brainerd-Crow Wing County Airport (BRD), Brainerd, Minn.
- Chilsom-Hibbing Municipal Airport (HIB), Hibbing, Minn.
- Grand Rapids-Itasca County Airport (GPZ), Grand Rapids, Minn.
- Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport (MSP), St. Paul, Minn.
- Manchester Airport (MHT), Manchester, N.H.
- Newark International Airport (EWR), Newark, N.J.
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), Jamaica, N.Y.
- LaGuardia Airport (LGA), Flushing, N.Y.
- McCarran International Airport (LAS), Las Vegas, Nev.
- Reno/Tahoe International Airport (RNO), Reno, Nev.
- Eastern Oregon Regional Airport at Pendleton (PDT), Pendleton, Ore.
- North Bend Municipal Airport (OTH), North Bend, Ore.
- Portland International Airport (PDX), Portland, Ore.
- Roberts Field (RDM), Redmond, Ore.
- Rogue Valley International-Medford (MFR), Medford, Ore.
- Abilene Regional Airport (ABI), Abilene, Texas
- Amarillo International Airport (AMA), Amarillo, Texas
- San Angelo Regional Airport (SJT), San Angelo, Texas
- Richmond International Airport (RIC), Richmond, Va.
- Washington-Dulles International Airport (IAD), Herndon, Va.
- Tri-Cities Airport (PSC), Pasco, Wash.
- Yakima Air Terminal-McAllister Field (YKM), Yakima, Wash.
Part-time security salaries will depend upon a screener's work schedule. Hourly wages can range from $11.30 to $16.96 depending on experience, plus locality pay. Part-time security screeners also are eligible for federal benefits including health insurance, life insurance, retirement, paid annual (vacation) and sick leave. The amount of the premium paid for both health and life insurance and retirement as well as accrued annual (vacation) and sick leave are based upon the work schedule.
Transportation security screeners' duties include providing frontline security and protection of travelers, airports and airplanes by identifying dangerous objects in baggage and on passengers. Their job is to prevent those objects from being transported onto aircraft by utilizing diverse, cutting edge electronic detection and imaging equipment, as well as using the lessons learned from a concentrated training curriculum.
Recruitment of potential candidates is the first step in the deployment of federal screeners. Candidates need to apply on-line and must meet the minimum requirements under the law. Candidates are then assessed, and if hired, are required to successfully complete 40 hours of classroom instruction and 60 hours of on-the-job training. The entire process takes several weeks.
All candidates must meet minimum qualification requirements established by law including:
- U.S. citizen or U.S. national.
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent, or 1 year of security or aviation screening experience.
- English proficiency.
- Pass a background check.