The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is pleased to announce implementation of the newly revised Crew Member Self Defense Training (CMSDT) Program. Using feedback from crew members, air carriers, and stakeholders, the TSA Office of Law Enforcement / Federal Air Marshal Service (OLE/FAMS) has developed a training program that is effective for all skill levels and is widely accessible for crew members to participate at 22 locations across the nation.
Crew members of both passenger and cargo airlines are eligible to participate if you are actively employed or on temporary furlough with an eligible U.S. flag air carrier.
- The Aviation Programs Section has worked consistently to make CMSDT increasingly available throughout the crew member community. Registration for classes takes into consideration air carrier scheduling practices across diverse air carriers of various sizes, regions, targeted clientele, etc.; as a result, the registration process incorporates several ways to sign up:
- Online – www.tsa.gov/cmsdt Crew members can register for classes 24/7 by clicking here to register.
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org Crew members can register for classes 24/7
- Call In – (1-877-407-CMSD) provides crew members the opportunity to sign up for classes, address program policy questions as well as understand options for participating in classes away from a domicile.
- Every effort will be made to schedule you for the training date you prefer. If you are seeking to participate for the first time, you should schedule at least two weeks in advance so that your registration can be processed.
- As part of the registration process, you will be asked to provide certain personally identifiable information such as your name, address, and employing air carrier. It is necessary for us to collect this information in order to verify your eligibility to participate in the training. TSA is committed to collecting, maintaining and disclosing this information in accordance with Federal privacy laws and regulations, as outlined in the CMSDT program’s Privacy Act Statement.
- The training and training materials are free of charge; however, any travel, lodging, meals, and incidental expenses are the responsibility of the participant. The actual hands-on training program lasts 4hours.
- Enrollment is limited to a maximum of twenty-four (24) participants per class, depending upon location, and the class minimum size is six participants. You must present your air carrier identification card to the POC at the training site, along with one of the following: valid U.S. Driver's License; valid U.S. Passport, or valid Armed Forces Identification Card. Crew members are encouraged and welcome to repeat the course as often as they would like.
- A certificate of completion will be provided to each crewmember that successfully completes the training.
TSA recognizes that the demands of air carrier flight operations may create unexpected scheduling conflicts for crew members. There is no penalty for canceling a scheduled training date. If you must cancel; however, please be sure to notify the Aviation Programs Section as soon as possible so that the training slot may be made available to others.
Please feel free to contact the Aviation Programs Section at 1-877-407-CMSD (2673) or email CMSDT_info@ole.tsa.dhs.gov with questions about the program or how to register.