Transportation Security Fees
On June 20, 2014, the Transportation Security Administration published an Interim Final Rule in the Federal Register to implement changes to the TSA September 11th Security Fee. These changes are in accordance with the new statutory language enacted into law in December 2013 through the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2013 (PL 113-67). The restructured fee took effect at 12:00 a.m. (Eastern Daylight Time) on July 21, 2014 on qualifying air transportation sold. The restructured fee is now $5.60 per one-way trip in air transportation originating from an airport in the United States.
- Air Carrier Payment Instructions
This document provides information for remittance of the security fee.
- Air Carrier Data Reporting Portal
Web site that provides details on the process to electronically submit data required by the security fee regulation.
- Frequently Asked Questions
TSA Security Fee FAQs.
- Interim Final Rule (Effective Dec. 31, 2001 to July 20, 2014) (PDF, 104KB)
Federal Regulation, 49 CFR Part 1510, published Dec. 31, 2001, that implements the September 11th Security Fee. This document provides the specific requirements and dates for compliance.
- Interim Final Rule (Effective July 21, 2014) (PDF, 418KB)
Federal Regulation, 49 CFR Part 1510, published June 20, 2014, that implements changes to the September 11th Security Fee. This document provides the specific requirements and dates for compliance.
- Data Collection Amendment (PDF, 45 KB)
- Federal Register Notice providing details regarding the changes to the data-reporting requirement of the original regulation
- Independent Audit Waiver (PDF, 35 KB)
Federal Register Notice providing guidance regarding the waiver of the independent audit requirement of the original regulation
- Docket for September 11 Security Fee Rulemaking
Web site used for the rulemaking process, provides a link to all information (public comments, guidance, regulations, etc.) available for public review. Simply enter 11120 into the "Docket Number" search field. A complete listing of all related documents will be generated. Select the appropriate file type to view any of the documents.
- Bipartisan Budget act of 2013 (PL 113-67, sec.601)
Enacted into law on December 26, 2013, the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2013 restructures the September 11th Fee imposition from an enplanement basis to a flat fee per one-way air transportation.