A vital security measure that will ensure individuals who pose a threat do not gain unescorted access to secure areas of the nation’s maritime transportation system.
1) Cards with Missing Fingerprint Files: Recently a number of TWIC cards were produced without fingerprint template files. The cards affected have expiration dates from 2019MAY22 through 2019MAY30. Not all cards within this expiration date range are affected. The affected cards are otherwise functional with readers and are valid. No cost replacement cards are available to individuals who received these cards. More information about this issue is available here. A list of affected cards is available here.
2) Card Production Delays: TSA is upgrading its technology to more effectively support TSA’s mission. However, TSA has experienced a temporary delay in the production and delivery of some TWIC cards. This delay is impacting some new enrollments, card replacements and Extended Expiration Date (EED) cards. TSA is working diligently to ensure the delays are minimized and efficient processing of applications and card production is achieved. If you are experiencing a longer than usual processing time, you may continue to check your application status online here or via the UES Call Center at 1-855-DHS-UES1 (855-347-8371).
3) New Card Topography Features: TWIC enrollment centers are beginning to receive and issue cards produced by the Government Printing Office (GPO) through the Technology Infastructure Modernization (TIM) system. The general appearance and security features of the new cards are similar to previous versions, but contain several changes:
- Expiration date format is now YEAR MONTH DAY (YYYYMMMDD) example: 2016APR22
- Card front: A period “.” follows the middle initial, example: W.
- Version moved to above the magnetic stripe (“TWIC v2.3 MM.YY”).
- The smaller 1D bar code above the magnetic stripe has been replaced by a card stock identifier sequence.
- The label “ID One PIV (1107253)” has been added above the magnetic stripe.
- The printing below the larger 1D barcode now includes the System Code (7099), example: 70991234
The Technical Advisory with details on card topography changes is available here.
4) New Card Technical Features: As a result of the transition to the TIM system, the TWIC Certificate Authority (CA) changed. TWIC readers programed to check the TWIC Certificate Revocation List (CRL) must be redirected to the new CA. The technical advisory for this change was also previously posted to the TWIC website. The direct link to the advisory is here.
5) TWIC “OneVisit”: The TWIC Program Office has completed the pilot test phase of mailing TWIC cards to applicants in Alaska and parts of Michigan and will offer the choice to receive cards by mail as this capability is added to enrollment centers throughout the summer. Applicants choosing to receive their card by mail will only be required to make one visit to an enrollment center to complete the enrollment process. The card will be mailed to the applicant’s home, or other address of their choice. The card will be activated and ready to be used. A mailer with the card’s PIN will be sent separately.
6) Pre-Enrollment: TWIC applicants may now begin the enrollment/application process by entering biographic information online before visiting an enrollment center. To pre-enroll, please visit the Universal Enrollment Services website here, click on the TWIC program icon, and select the “Pre-Enroll” link from the list of available services.
7) Extended Expiration Date TWICs: If you are a worker holding a TWIC that expires on or before December 31, 2014 and you are a U.S. citizen or U.S. national you will be able to replace your expiring TWIC with a 3-year Extended Expiration Date (EED) TWIC. To order an EED TWIC or a card replacement, you may contact the UES Call Center at 1-855-DHS-UES1 (1-855-347-8371) Monday through Friday from 8 AM - 10 PM Eastern. Alternatively, click here to order your EED TWIC or card replacement online.
If you need further information, please contact the UES Call Center at 1-855-DHS-UES1 (1-855-347-8371) Monday through Friday from 8 AM - 10 PM Eastern.
Employers, Unions, and Facility Owner/Operators
If you have questions regarding TWIC enforcement and policy guidance, please contact the USCG Help Desk at 1-877-MTSA-AID (1-877-687-2243; option #1) or at email@example.com. Note: Owners/operators/FSOs/VSOs/CSOs are encouraged to seek guidance directly from their local Captain of the Port TWIC action officer.