Office of Civil Rights and Liberties, Ombudsman, & Traveler Engagement (CRL/OTE)
Mission of the Disability and Multicultural Division of CRL/OTE
The Disability and Multicultural Division is responsible for ensuring that TSA’s security screening policies, procedures, and practices comply with all applicable civil liberties and civil rights laws, regulations, Executive Orders, and policies and do not discriminate against travelers on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, or parental status; and cultivating and maintaining positive relationships and ongoing communication between TSA and members of the disability and multicultural communities.
The Disability Branch
The Disability Branch serves as the primary point of contact within TSA for supporting the DHS disability policy agenda, including the following:
- Reviewing and conducting inquiries, and making determinations regarding disability related complaints.
- Developing, managing, and strengthening partnerships and outreach with the disability community partners.
The Multicultural Branch
The Multicultural Branch conducts outreach to organizations representing the multicultural communities to gather input, facilitate mutual understanding, and exchange information, including the following:
- Reviewing and conducting inquiries, and making determinations regarding complaints from the traveling public based on race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, or parental status. For Travelers: Filing a Complaint
- Developing, managing, and strengthening partnerships and outreach with various multicultural community partners.
- To provide civil rights and liberties guidance in the review of TSA's existing and proposed policies and programs.
- To ensure that TSA provides comprehensive cultural awareness training to the security workforce.
- To provide easily understandable information to the traveling public about what to expect from TSA's programs and activities.
» Click here to read the TSA Civil Rights Policy. (pdf, 64kb)