About the TSA Pre✓™ Program
Here are the most frequently asked questions to help you learn how to participate and receive expedited screening benefits.
Q. What is TSA Pre✓™?
A. TSA Pre✓™ is one of several intelligence-driven, risk-based initiatives helping TSA move away from a one-size-fits-all model to provide the most effective security in the most efficient way. The use of risk-based initiatives will allow TSA to maintain its high security standards and improve the passenger experience while ensuring as many travelers as possible experience the benefit of expedited screening through the TSA Pre✓™ lanes.
Q. Who is eligible for TSA Pre✓™?
A. Travelers that are eligible for TSA Pre✓™ include:
- U.S. citizens of frequent flyer programs who meet TSA-mandated criteria and who have been invited by a participating airline.
- U.S. citizens with a Known Traveler Number.
- U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, and Lawful Permanent Residents who are members of the TSA Pre✓™ application program.
- U.S. citizens who are members of a U.S. Customs and Border Protection trusted traveler program, such as Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS.
- Canadian citizens who are members of NEXUS.
- Foreign citizens who are members of Global Entry (see Global Entry eligibility) and not registered as a U.S. lawful permanent resident.
- Members of the U.S. Armed Forces, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves, and National Guard.
TSA will determine an individual’s eligibility for TSA Pre✓™ on a flight by flight basis through an intelligence risk based analysis of passenger data.
Q. How can I participate?
A. Individuals who do not meet TSA’s criteria as a frequent flyer with their airline, are not already a member of a DHS Trusted Traveler program or a member of the U.S. Armed Forces may still be able to participate in TSA Pre✓™ by applying for one of DHS Trusted Traveler programs including TSA Pre✓™ Application Program, Global Entry, NEXUS and SENTRI.
Q. Can I use TSA Pre✓™ on international travel?
A. Yes. TSA Pre✓™ is available for passengers traveling domestically within the United States and for international travel when departing from a U.S. airport that participates in TSA Pre✓™. Passengers may also be eligible for TSA Pre✓™ when connecting to a domestic flight after arriving to the United States on international travel.
Q. How will I know that I have been cleared for TSA Pre✓™?
A. Travelers who have been cleared for TSA Pre✓™ will have information embedded in the barcode of their boarding pass. Once the boarding pass is scanned at the checkpoint, the passenger may be referred to a TSA Pre✓™ lane. Participating airlines are printing a TSA Pre✓™ indicator directly on the boarding pass.
Q. TSA Pre✓™ is not available at my airport, why was it printed on my boarding pass?
A. Travelers are vetted for TSA Pre✓™ every time they fly. TSA and airlines cannot limit printing of the TSA Pre✓™ indicator to only TSA Pre✓™ participating airports. Full list of participating TSA Pre✓™ airports.