USA Flag

Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

Required Documentation for the TSA Pre✓™ Application Program

U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents

You must provide an original or certified copy* of identity and citizenship status documentation during enrollment to include one document from List A or two documents from List B.  The document(s) provided must include a valid photo ID and valid proof of citizenship/immigration status.  The names on your documents must match exactly with the name you use on your application and when traveling.

If you have legally changed your name, you must provide an original or certified name change document (such as marriage certificates or divorce decrees) in addition to the required documentation from List A or List B. For example, if you present a U.S. birth certificate with your maiden name and a driver’s license with your married name, you must also provide a marriage certificate that shows the link between the names on the birth certificate and the driver’s license.

If you have any of the documents from List A below, please provide one of these documents during enrollment. If you do not have a document from List A, please see below for List B documents.

List A

One document is acceptable from the following forms of identification:

  • Unexpired U.S. Passport (book or card) – demonstrates U.S. Citizenship
  • Unexpired Enhanced Tribal Card (ETC) – demonstrates U.S. Citizenship
  • Unexpired Merchant Mariner Document (MMD) – designates U.S. Citizenship
  • Unexpired Free and Secure Trade (FAST) Card – designates U.S. Citizenship
  • Unexpired U.S. Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) or Unexpired Enhanced Identification Card (EID) – designates U.S. Citizenship
  • Permanent Resident Card (I-551) often referred to as a “Green Card” – demonstrates LPR status
  • Unexpired Foreign Passport AND immigrant visa with I-551 annotation of “Upon Endorsement Serves as Temporary I-551 Evidencing Permanent Residence of 1 Year” – demonstrates LPR status
  • Unexpired Re-entry Permit (I-327) – demonstrates LPR status

At least two List B documents are required if you do not have a document from List A. The documents must include 1) a valid photo ID, and 2) a document that meets citizenship requirements. For example, the combination of a driver’s license and a U.S. Social Security card contains a photo ID but does not demonstrate citizenship status and is not a valid combination. However, the combination of a valid driver’s license and U.S. birth certificate would meet the document requirements for enrollment.

List B

You must have at least one document from each section below for a total of two documents

The names on all documents must match, unless you provide a valid proof of name change*

Photo ID + Proof of U.S. Citizenship + Name Change Document (if needed) = Valid Combination

Section 1 - Valid Photo ID

  • Unexpired driver’s license issued by a State or outlying possession of the U.S.
  • Unexpired temporary driver’s license plus expired driver’s license
  • Unexpired photo ID card issued by a State or outlying possession of the U.S. This must include a State or State agency seal or logo (such as a State university ID). Permits are not considered valid identity documents (such as gun permits)
  • Unexpired U.S. military ID card
  • Unexpired U.S. retired military ID
  • Unexpired U.S. military dependent’s card
  • Native American tribal document with photo
  • Unexpired Merchant Mariner License (MML) bearing an official raised seal, or a certified copy
  • Unexpired Department of Homeland Security (DHS)/Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)
  • Unexpired Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC)
  • Expired U.S. passport within 12 months of expiration**

Section 2 - Valid Proof of Citizenship

  • Original or certified copy of birth certificate issued by a State, county, municipal authority, or outlying possession of the U.S. bearing an official seal
  • U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or 561)
  • U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (N-550 or 570)
  • U.S. Citizen Identification Card (I-179 or I-197)
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)
  • Certification of Report of Birth Abroad (DS-1350 or FS-545)
  • Expired U.S. passport within 12 months of expiration**

* An original or certified copy of a document must be issued by a Federal, State, Tribal, county, municipal authority, or outlying possession bearing an official seal. Notarized copies of documents are not acceptable.

** An expired U.S. passport may not be presented by itself. It must be presented with at least one other List B document or a U.S. Social Security card or U.S. military discharge papers (DD-214).

Latest revision: 20 June 2014