Welcome (Commenting Disabled)

Wednesday, January 30, 2008
welcome

Two million travelers come in contact with the Transportation Security Administration every day. It is an intense experience all around -- extremely personal in some senses but also impersonal at the same time.

There is no time to talk, to listen, to engage with each other. There isn’t much opportunity for our Security Officers to explain the ‘why,’ of what we ask you to do at the checkpoint, just the ‘what’ needs to be done to clear security. The result is that the feedback and venting ends up circulating among passengers with no real opportunity for us to learn from you or vice versa. We get feedback verbally and non-verbally at the checkpoint and see a lot in the blogs, again without a real dialogue.

Our ambition is to provide here a forum for a lively, open discussion of TSA issues. While I and senior leadership of TSA will participate in the discussion, we are turning the keyboard over to several hosts who represent what’s best about TSA (its people). Our hosts aren’t responsible for TSA’s policies, nor will they have to defend them -- their job is to engage with you straight-up and take it from there. Our hosts will have access to senior leadership but will have very few editorial constraints. Our postings from the public will be reviewed to remove the destructive but not touch the critical or cranky.

Please be patient and good-humored as we get underway. The opportunity is that we will incorporate what we learn in this forum in our checkpoint process evolution. We will not only give you straight answers to your questions but we will challenge you with new ideas and involve you in upcoming changes.

One of my major goals of 2008 is to get TSA and passengers back on the same side, working together. We need your help to get the checkpoint to be a better environment for us to do our security job and for you to get through quickly and onto your flight. Seems like the way to get that going is for us to open up and hear your feedback...

Thanks for joining us,

Kip Hawley

Tags:

Comments

I fly only 2 or 3 times a year but each time I do, I end up getting the full search. I am a 47 yr old very white female of Irish descent and red hair. I look NOTHING like the racial profiling of a terrorist. I have voted in every election since I turned 18. I am a natural born citizen as were both of my parents. I have a daughter in the US Army and do volunteer work for troop support charities. I don't understand how I always get singled out. They have never found anything on me that had to be confiscated. Is there some list that flags people to be searched? Why am I being singled out?

The policy for no liquids or gels is being taken to an unacceptable extreme. I carry healthy food on each weekly business trip due to the lack of choices of food offered by the airlines and airports. My sealed, clear, see through 4 oz container of applesauce was determined by TSA to be "not allowed." Applesauce is NOT a liquid or a gel, its a food. Security should stick to their posted regulations.

I am in in-frequent flier. I normally carry a small swiss army knife which contains a scissors, tweezers, toothpick, file/screwdriver and a knife blade about 1.2 inches in length. Whenever I forget to leave them behind, security is kind enough to confiscate them. They do allow me my belt buckle with a two inch belt holder and a far more dangerous weapon the the tiny swiss army knife though. I guess this makes us all more secure. But I sure can not understand how.

O'HARE AIRPORT,CHICAGO:
TSA IS CONSTANTLY HIRING,TRAINING AND LOSING SCREENERS DUE TO INCOMPETENT MANAGEMENT. TAXPAYERS ARE PAYING FOR THIS UN-SUPERVISED MESS. THE WORKERS ARE TREATED LIKE GESTAPO TROOPS AND EMULATE THEIR HANDLERS. WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS DANGEROUS AND THREATENING GROUP OF UNHAPPY GOVERNMENT WORKERS?

Submitted by MeMyselfAndI on

On a recent flight, I learned that there is a policy in place since the last time I flew that required me to take off my slip on shoes. In the past I was able to keep on my simple shoes because they are obviously no threat. No problem, I put them on the conveyor belt and they got scanned. It sure would be nice if they'd clean the floors though. I thought about my feet and the feet of every single person that passed through there. TSA has an obligation to security *and* health. If you require us to do something for security that poses some health risk then you need to mitigate those health risks.

More importantly, I was required to take the shoes off of my infant. This was absolutely retarded. Not only are his shoes so tiny, but they cause an undo burden to a traveler and all the travelers that had to make their way around me.

Worse than this, the TSA publishes guidelines that I looked up before my travels to find out what I could take on the plane for my infant son. It said that I could take food/formula. However at the security checkpoint they made me get rid of the water I brought to make his formula. WTF??? Either we are allowed to bring food or not, stop pussyfooting around here. Buying water at an airport is NOT an option unless they are going to provide it to us for free or for actual cost. I'm not paying $2 for a bottle of water. I can almost buy a case of water for that. I understand if you want to stop us from bringing water, but at least make an exception for 1 bottle of water for a baby. Formula only lasts for 2 hours from the time it is made, and that is if it is kept in proper conditions. TSA has an obligation to the health of its passengers, even the smallest of them. Without health, security is meaningless.

I got sick a day after this latest mini-vacation. My wife got sick, and now my son did. I've flown a lot and have never gotten sick from just being on a plane, but these new regulations need to be evaluated for cleanliness and health. For that matter, let's evaluate them for sanity. What could you hide in an infants shoe while their feet are in there? What could I hide in flip flops or sandals?

As a frequent flier, I would like to thank TSA for providing me with a laugh every time I go through security. I stand watching people trying to take off shoes, put laptops into bins, remove jackets and isolate liquids, while pushing belongings along tables, carefully placed so that each one is several inches higher than the preceding one. I realize that I too am one of those idiot dancers, pirouetting with a plastic bag in one hand and shoes in another.

To be serious though, I grew up in an African dictatorship which was similar in many ways to a TSA security line. We are giving away our freedoms fo a false sense of security.

The TSA should not profile anyone, i.e single out those of middle-eastern decent. . Don't forget about the Oklahoma bombings. Until the September 11, 2001 attacks, it was the deadliest act of terrorism on U.S. soil. The attack claimed 168 lives and left over 800 injured.

I have 3 pounds of metal (rods, screws & discs) in my back. I fly out of DCA and I am never stopped by the screening. Yet I fly in/out of Dallas and get stopped every time. Since DC is supposed to be top of heightened security, how can this be?

Also on 2 separate occassions I forgot to remove my "bear" mace and an 11 blade swiss army knife from my purse. The purse went right thru at Dulles (IAD) never got stopped. My husband took his shaving kit which had metal finger nail clippers, he got pulled aside and every part of his carry on and body was searched.
I think we are so over worried about liquids, shoes, batteries, etc. that the human body is being over looked for hiding places.
Thank you for this blog.

Why do TSA screeners treat people that fly all the time and know what they are doing like they are stupid and have no idea how the system works? Why not be thankful that they are making their jobs easier!

As a person who flies semi-frequently for business and for personal trips, it's very rare to find a nice, INTELLIGENT screener. For some reason many of the screeners feel they get to throw their weight around just because they are the "make it or break it" as to whether you get to pass through security to get to your flight. My entire family took a flight to visit family out East. My sister-in-law approached security with my one and a half year old niece, but my sister-in-law's belt set off the alarm. They sent my niece threw security with no one to watch her (we got stuck behind my sister-in-law) and told my sister-in-law to get back behind the line. My sister-in-law tried to get security to at least grab my niece to bring her back to us so nothing would happen to her. But the screeners on their high horse would not help and said that she had to stay on the other side. So, my niece started crying because she was scared and when she tried to run back to her Mom, security stopped the little girl and pushed her back. Seriously, it's a one-and-a-half year old little girl!! Please start hiring screeners with half-a-brain... situations like this should NEVER happen.

Why have approved TSA locks for your luggage when they are disreguarded by security? The inconsiderate personnel did not cut the lock off (which they should have had the code to open) they cut through my luggage pulls instead. How rude, damaging my expensive luggage. I don't think you have license to destroy or disrespect what belongs to someone else in the name of security.

TSA has no credibility whatsoever. There is no consistency in the "security" rules from one airport to another (some require you to take off your shoes, some don't; some allow you to bring your own transparent plastic bag for your toiletries, others insist that it be a very speicif type of ziplock; etc). Get it together, PUBLISH the rules, and TRAIN the security guys at the airport!!!

Why is it if I get a complimentary 1 quart bag for my liquids from LAX or somewhere else, but then use that same bag on the way back from somewhere like Madison WI, they say it is not an approved 1 quart bag. Just because It doesn’t look like a Zip Lock or Glad Bag, doesn’t mean it is any smaller or larger than 1 quart. Plus the fact that the TSA gave it to me in the first place. This goes to not having standards at every airport, or the lack of training for TSO’s. This is the kind of stuff that makes the every week traveler very upset. We tend to know how to fly the simplest of ways, but we still come across TSO’s that want to argue or threaten you with not letting you fly. I have had to throw stuff away on one than more occasion and it does not make me too happy.

We are told to keep our bags with us and not to take or leave our bags with people we do not know.

Yet, many times we are told to drop our bags off in a roped section & then proceed to the counter/gate area. The bags sit there until they are screened and loaded onto the plane. Anyone can easily grab or tamper with a bag.

Also, when people bring one carry-on on the plane, they should be able to put it the overhead bin for their row. Yet, other people bring excessive items on board and then others have to put their ONE carryon in an overhead bin several rows away. How safe is that?

What an amateur effort by the TSA to put together this blog. This will be impossible for them to maintain and follow. By the time you read one blog entry, there will have been 100 more posted. Like all things government, it will be inefficient, bloated and useless in no time at all.

And I'm very thankful that the security of our airports is left to the most lazy, overweight, rude, and uneducated of the populace. What a joke.

I would have to say, I really don't feel any safer on the planes now as I did before 9/11.

I have had 2 instances now with the TSA that just scares me. During security at two different airports, I've had screeners mouth "What the F*ck?" as my bag with a PDA, Some DVD's, a Sony PSP, and some minor other electronics go through the carry-on x-ray and then shake their heads and let the stuff go through and me onto the plane.

Not once did any of them ask to open the bag, which I would have been more than happy with. Instead they call another person over, that person can't figure out what their seeing and let me go on my way.

If your not sure of what you are seeing on the X-Ray, check the damn baggage.

This happend at Kansas City, Kansas and LAX.

I felt safer going through security at Pudong International Airport in Shanghai than I did in the U.S. because they actually asked to see what was in the bag.

As a private citizen who has done their best to stop traveling since the TSA was started but has found it just plain impossible, I have a simple question. My now 10 yr old daughter just made it past screening for the first time with out being pulled over for a body search. At 4 she couldn't even put her feet in the foot prints without falling over. Your own people get through with "bomb" making supplies and you're busy pulling over children. Is it any wonder why we try not to fly any more?

I travel once or twice a year. I can no longer lock my luggage but frequently twist a pipe cleaner through the zipper holes where a lock would go. This is done to keep my bag from coming unzipped during handling. Why can't the TSA Screeners ever replace it. Is this how they treat luggage with "TSA Approved" locks? Every time I have had my luggage screened they also don't reclip the internal tiedowns in my suitcase. With the pipecleaner gone and the tiedowns unclipped, it's a wonder my belongings aren't all over the belly of a plane.

Submitted by Nld_coder on

I first read about this blog at Yahoo News via my e-mail and think it's a great idea.

I'm not certain whether or not it stems from the recommendations of the 9/11 Commission, where, on 9/11 there was obvious confusion regarding NORAD and the FAA, particularly relative to a governing protocol that might have stopped the attack, but in the future, particularly in a case where there may be actionable intelligence in the system, or where such intelligence might be gathered from the public, a blog such as this will serve more than a useful purpose.

Certainly Director Tenet was warned of the attack via French Intelligence as early as January 2001, in turn reporting that intelligence to the National Security Advisor when threat reporting began to increase as late as July, 2001 in a way that would substantiate French Intel, but to no avail. Attorney General Ashcroft wanted to know why the FBI didn't know ( " At The Center of The Storm," George Tenet). But Minneapolis FBI had been warned about Moussaoui, only to be mysteriously told that they might have mistaken him for another Moussaoui that had been in Paris. Then General Arnold, after the towers had been hit, on 9/11, was given an order, via Dick Cheney, by a Lieutenant Colonel at the White House to shoot down a civilian passenger aircraft which he seemed to hesitate or linger upon, but most of us would probably agree for good reason: engagement alone would probably have sufficed to divert the aircraft.

My own story is somewhat complex. I was told of the attack in 1987 by way of what I believed to be a psychic. I wanted to report it and eventually did, but felt uncomfortable having to explain that the intelligence might have originated with a psychic because it seemed that it might diminish or undermine its believability when, in fact, it might actually be credible. But the threat had to do with an event that might occur 14 years into the future. So there would be time to analyze it even where it had originated with a psychic.

I called FBI Headquarters which promptly informed me that I had to call " local FBI," which I did, explaining that I had been told that there might be an attack on the U.S., but in 14 years. There were also specifics related to certain airports like Boston Logan and numbers that might be symbolic, like 93. In summa, it was sufficient to stop an attack if it was true, but again, I could not have been sure whether or not it might have been something that Nostradamus predicted: because it had no immediate or imminent relevance it was impossible to disambiguate notwithstanding a more intensive, rigorous analysis.

Over the next 14 years, I never told anyone, believing that doing so might jeopardize the ability of the FBI to stop it in a case where the intelligence might be credible. In other words, I did not want to report it and than try and stop it myself, thereby undermining the very purpose of reporting it.

The desk agent told me that there was someone there who handled matters of national security. Mind you, this was late on a Sunday night in late September, 1987. So she left to find him but to no avail. He had already left for the night. She asked me whether I wanted her to call him at home. I said that I did because I thought it important enough to report immediately. So she said that she would have him call me, which, no more than 20 minutes later, he did.

I reported all of it to the agent which, again, included very specific information that, in retrospect, should have stopped the attack. And he wasn't just any agent. He was an intelligence agent who spied on the Soviet Union during the Cold War, before the Berlin Wall had come down. He was the director of the most clandestine intelligence unit in existense, a unit called the " Special Collections Service," or "SCS." It was widely considered inside of the intelligence community to be our nation's most valuable intelligence asset. And there's no doubt, particularly now, that this was nothing short of a " special collection. "

I told him everything, saw him the next day and that was it.

But at the time SCS was connected to NSA, the Congressional Intelligence Committees, and the State Department; it was a veritable MI-6. I wasn't aware of any of that. I had literally no idea I'd reported a potential attack to someone who spied on the Russians.

Who was the agent ? His name is Robert Philip Hanssen

The whole purpose, in fact, of SCS, during the Cold War, and dating back to the Manhattan Project, was to intercept Russian diplomats who might be affiliated with the KGB - might be trying to steal our nuclear secrets. And it was, of course, the Russian Embassy, which, merely months prior to 9/11, tipped off the FBI to the notion that Hanssen had been a " double agent " during the Cold War - had sold secrets, perhaps recently, perhaps decades prior. In ay case it wasn't in violation of international law and yet the Russians insisted on circumventing Hanssen, ultimately implicating him at the State Department.

But why did the matter suddenly become relevant, again, just months months prior to 9/11, an attack about which Hanssen had been informed more than a decade prior ?

Again, I simply assumed that the intellgence had been reported and that, if true, an attack would be stopped. I had no idea that I'd reported it to an agent who could stop it himself. Moreover, I had no idea that the agent might be accused of being a double agent right before the attack.

So how, in fact, as was the question posed by AG Ashcroft to Director Tenet, could the FBI have not known ?

That's the million-dollar question.

I just want to commend the security personell at Jacksonville Florida International Airport (JIA) for their professionalism and patience. I do not fly very often, but when I have they have been very kind to me as on one trip I was wearing a wlking cast and they were patient with me as I could not move very fast. I have found that if you follow the rules and arrive early the tension and anxiety is much reduced. Also a sense of humor helps. I do not know why people do not make it easier on themselves by following the rules. It such a simple thing to do. I noticed women getting frustrated at having to take off their shoes as they were wearing knee high zip and lace up boots (in summer no less)when it would have been much easier to wear slip on shoes. I guess I just want to say keep up the good work.
Catherine M. Hunsuck

Why do TSA people accept a Drivers licanse, that can be gotten almost anyware, and many are fake, and they won't accept a RETIRED MILITARY ID from now on I will not accept a TSA ID and will call for a supervisor.

RW RETIRED USAF

As a US Citizen I would like to say that TSA is the NAZI youth of the 21st century! They have failed every fack bomb smuggling attempt and are an unnessacery burden to travel and the US economy period! I felt safe flying before 9-11 I felt less unsafe flying after 9-11. TSA is careless while snooping through baggage, they remove things from bags like cameras which then break and when you file a claim against them they will not take responsibility for anything, do away with the TSA NOW!

Recent traveler, THE BEST-Orlando Airport..No wait, organized, efficient. THE WORST-Phoenix..understaffed, rude, long wait...Average-Chicago

I have flown 8 times in the last year, to and from 5 different airports in the U.S. and I want to say thanks to all the TSA folks out there. I learned the rules, came early enough, and had not one problem moving thru an airport. I was once even singled out for a thorough personal search in a private room, and found everyone to be proffesional and courtious. If more people were willing to educate themselves and stop believing these folks weren't just human like them, trying to do a very important job, I think the process would be much happier. Seems everyones bothered till something goes wrong... Who will be blamed then I wonder? Anyway, thank you.

Submitted by Mom Of 6 on

Because my family lives in Indiana I frequently fly there from my home in Florida. I work at Port Canaveral and have a port security badge so I have been cleared by many agencies. My uncle died recently an I immediately booked a flight home for the next day. I was tagged for special screening. As I waited to get to the initial screener, I oticed the lady in front of me in a flowing burkha. She was traveling to Paris on an Iranian passport while I was traveling to South Ben Indiana as an American citizen. I was pulled for special screening, she was passed. This seems a bit of a strange way to insure safety an made no sense to me.

Submitted by AF Retired on

I want to know why US troops deploying back into the Iraqi or Afghan operations areas are almost strip searched going through security? All were boarding an ATA flight in Dallas to return to war to defend us.

Major Benson
Retired AF

My 89 year old mother-in-law is wheel chair bound and has an expired driver's license. Why is this big deal? Why does this raise such incredulity? Why so much security hassle for old ladies? Having said that, the TSA folks at St. Louis and Denver were very understanding and helpful after we got past the ID checker guy.

Could TSA do a better job, sure, but it has been my experience that the screeners are courteous and professional and polices are well publicized and explained. There is simply no comparison to the private screeners who provided “security” before 9-11. My worst screening experience since TSA came online was in Kansas City, where, guess what, a pilot project brought private contractors back. Bad idea! The screeners were rude and some spoke English so poorly that they could not be understood.

My wedding ring was stolen, apparently out of my bag during the search process behind the scenes. Why didn't I wear it? Wanted to speed the process through metal detector. Shows me.
Seattle airport, April, 2007.

I fly out of Logan airport in Boston. I can assure the TSA manager that we have not forgotten so naturally, it is disconcerting to find security continues to be lax here. I flew out of Boston on American on MLK day. I was traveling with a CPAP for the first time so had no clue I had to bin it for security. I also forgot a 7 oz jar of lotion in my bags and was just too lazy to remove my GPS. I did take out my computer. I sailed through security thinking 'cool, I guess I don't have to unpack that CPAP.' Totally different experience in Denver. They made me unpack everything that had an on/off button (computer, GPS, CPAP) and told me CPAPS have been on the unpack list for almost a year now. Why did Denver catch all of this and Boston not? See, I remember 9/11 and the fact that 2 of the planes were highjacked from here. If anything, Boston should be leading the nation in security— not trailing it.

I see "Comment moderation has been enabled. All comments must be approved by the blog author".

I hope this author is not a TSA employee. If he is, the comments will queue forever and have to remove their shoes before being published.

Submitted by Texas_Dawg on

Kip,

Can you please add KipHawleyIsAnIdiot.com to your links section?

Thanks.

Why don't you do motion studies to design more efficient processing of passengers. For example placing benches prior to entering the metal detectors to make it easier to take off your shoes and speed processing??

Also there are many off your employees that that just plain rude. It's bad enough to wait 40 minutes to process.

Hello, TSA:

I've travelled a lot in my life before and after 9/11. I'm surprised at how much complaining people do about TSA and security. It's like they think you're responsible now for the weather, sick pilots, cancelled flights, inattentive flight attendants, just about everything. My experience has been uniformly positive. I've been in over a dozen different airports with TSA and never had a problem.

And, I think we're safer for your efforts.

Submitted by New23home on

Airports should be designed to allow passengers on connecting flights to remain within the security envelope when transfering from plane to plane. One checkpoint should be sufficient.

Slightly ramp up the walk through so we don't have to remove our shoes. In this way. nothing is missed. I wear suspenders and removing them almost causes embarrassment each time I walk through. Remedy this. Attitudes of staff may be fine, but this duty is overkill.

Submitted by Dustin on

I work in Baghdad. This summer I came back to the states for a funeral and my luggage was treated fine through the countries I crossed until I came back to America. My TSA accessible combination lock was taken off and lost. I was told I'd have to contact homeland security. Does anyone know what WTF stands for? On the way out, on my way back to Baghdad from OKC, my carry on bag was dumped on the table, that screener walked away while another one patted me down and gave me a speech about terrorism. By the way when's the last time a plane has been hijacked with a bottle of water? Ever heard of deep vein thrombosis TSA? In fighting that your supposed to drink a glass of water every hour. No problem I have a bottle oh wait its not aguafina its al-qadea. (Sarcasm in case you didn't get it)

On flight from charleston SC to Rochester NY my camera and laptop were stolen from my suitcase. Since I am not able to lock my suitcase when I turn it over to airline / TSA then I would expect them to have adequate cameras personnel to be able to prevent items- especailly as large as a computer from being removed from a passangers luggage.

Submitted by Swparkerrealtor on

I've only had one TSA employee (in Las Vegas) that acted with a Holier-than-Thou attitude. For the most part I think that every TSA employee has done an awesome job of making sure we are safe while traveling. THANKS! : )

great idea. i just hope these comments dont fall on deaf ears or blind eyes. some responses from TSA would let us know this blog isnt a waste of time

Was it really in the best interest of our national security to pry a snow globe from the fingers of a crying 6-year-old girl because it contained liuid?

I have been reading some of these comments and it is not surprising that people are complaining about taking their shoes off and all the silly rules that we have. I personally think we should enforce a one bag rule or no carry on's. But then the public would be outraged by the limitations. That would make the lines go faster and less bag checks.
People wonder why we are making announcements over and over again. It is because no one listens or reads any signs. We are here to help you get through the process quickly and safely. Most of us care about what we are doing and are here for a reason. And that is to protect the flying public.
For almost six years now, we haven't had anything happen. Is it dumb luck or are we actually doing something right? So in the long run does it really matter if we ask you to take your shoes off or follow the rules? It might help if people start to educate themselves before they fly. Instead of yelling at us because you don't know the rules.
I also think that for the most part people have forgotten what happened on 911. First off because it was devasting to all of us and we want to forget. So maybe the next time you want to knock TSA remember that we don't forget what has happened. It is our job to remember and try to prevent it from ever happening again.

Submitted by Bandit on

As a frequent flyer who took over 110 flights in 2007 I thank the TSA for giving us a chance to comment.
I commend the TSA for doing what they do to keep us safe BUT the inconsistancies from airport to airport really make people irrated and cause most of the complaints. In 2007 I flew in or out of 27 different airports in the USA and can honestly say the rules for TSA screening were differnt in many of them. One makes you take off your belt, others don't. One will let my large bottle of Malox thru, others don't. On the same day one airport litterally dumped my brief case upside down on a table then just shoved everything back in while the next airport let it go thru. I can walk thru one metal detector and not set it off yet go thru the one next to it after I leave the secure area and it goes off with the exact same clothes on and nothing in my pockets. Finally - the rudeness of some of the TSA employees is just beyond belief when you ask them a question. One person actually told me to shut up or I would be going to jail when all I did was ask these same questions about lack of consistancy from place to place and sometimes even in the same airport. Thank You.

Submitted by Jon on

I purchased an expensive suitcase after 9/11 and have never once locked it, though it does have a combination lock. The tumblers are covered by a flip-up panel that prevents the lock from becoming accidentally engaged. Nevertheless I was contacted once at the boarding gate and informed that my bag could not be opened (it was not locked), and twice it has been opened with a crowbar, which of course breaks it (once TSA had to cocoon it in tape just to keep it closed). The case is made by a well-known luggage manufacturer and has not been modified in any way.

I am asking earnestly why this might be happening and what I can do to help ensure that my regulation-compliant property is not abused by my government.

Submitted by Michael Shue on

The good folks at the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles are more efficient and do a better job than ANY TSA employee I've seen, and that is saying alot given the job the VA DMV does... The screeners at National Airport here in Washington are laughable. They would prefer to talk about what is going on tonight after their shift rather than moving passengers through to catch their flights. I can't tell you how many times my SRT pocketknife that I keep in my bag (to open boxes and stuff like that) has gotten through security.

Why do all TSA employees treat all passengers as criminals? As a whole, there is not a more unfriendly group of employees in the world. Is it a part of TSA training that TSA employees should be hostile and antagonstical toward all passengers?

I would join a registered traveler program if it was available at more airports and supported by TSA.

Why can I take an empty water bottle through a checkpoint, but not an almost empty tube of toothpaste, clearly wound up to contain a very small percentage of the original capacity? It is still in my 1 qt. bag.

Have you really accomplished anything at all positive here?

Will we ever be able to lock our checked luggage again? If the taxpayer paid for high-powered, "see-everything" xray machines to see into the luggage then why do we still need to keep the luggage unlocked?

Are there any stats for how often checked luggage is opened for closer inspection? You don't have to publish the stats for the general public, but if the incident level is low then I don't see why we can't lock our checked luggage.

If the luggage is questionable after scanning it, the TSA should pull it aside and notify the airline which should notify the owner. That is why I thought we arrived at the airport so early now; 2hours before national flights & 3 hours before international flights.

This is a great idea but I am concerned about the format here. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a threaded discussion forum so you could organize the comments?