Welcome (Commenting Disabled)

Wednesday, January 30, 2008
welcome

Two million travelers come in contact with the Transportation Security Administration every day. It is an intense experience all around -- extremely personal in some senses but also impersonal at the same time.

There is no time to talk, to listen, to engage with each other. There isn’t much opportunity for our Security Officers to explain the ‘why,’ of what we ask you to do at the checkpoint, just the ‘what’ needs to be done to clear security. The result is that the feedback and venting ends up circulating among passengers with no real opportunity for us to learn from you or vice versa. We get feedback verbally and non-verbally at the checkpoint and see a lot in the blogs, again without a real dialogue.

Our ambition is to provide here a forum for a lively, open discussion of TSA issues. While I and senior leadership of TSA will participate in the discussion, we are turning the keyboard over to several hosts who represent what’s best about TSA (its people). Our hosts aren’t responsible for TSA’s policies, nor will they have to defend them -- their job is to engage with you straight-up and take it from there. Our hosts will have access to senior leadership but will have very few editorial constraints. Our postings from the public will be reviewed to remove the destructive but not touch the critical or cranky.

Please be patient and good-humored as we get underway. The opportunity is that we will incorporate what we learn in this forum in our checkpoint process evolution. We will not only give you straight answers to your questions but we will challenge you with new ideas and involve you in upcoming changes.

One of my major goals of 2008 is to get TSA and passengers back on the same side, working together. We need your help to get the checkpoint to be a better environment for us to do our security job and for you to get through quickly and onto your flight. Seems like the way to get that going is for us to open up and hear your feedback...

Thanks for joining us,

Kip Hawley

Tags:

Comments

This is a great idea but I am concerned about the format here. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a threaded discussion forum so you could organize the comments?

In Atlanta it is very frustrating when people working at the airport push their way to the front of the security line at x-ray screening. Most of these people are rude and act as if it is their privilege to cut in front of everyone. They slow the lines down. They need to get to work earlier or have a separate line for these rude line cutters. It seems that you forget that the passengers are the customers not the workers

I don't like the attitude of most of the TSA workers. They behave as if they are members of a SWAT team when in fact they are anuneducated and undertrained work force. They are not professional and there authority makes them act like they are on a power trip. Very pathetic.

Are my tax dollars being used here so that another non-educated, minimum wage rent a cop turned govt employee can sit and read through this blog????

As soon as the public at large finds out about this you will have so many posts, it will just become this long, convoluted, useless mess that in the end, does nothing and wastes more money.

If I had to complain......

While working for the US State Department diplomatic security service, I buy a ticket on expedia dot com, I get sent to the super screen isle. I have a higher clearance, I have more security training, I have better weapons skills, I have a higher education, and I have a wallet full of ID's......but I have some snot nosed 20 year old kid treating me like I am some criminal.

You TSA people really need to learn your proper place in the food chain.

Submitted by Golfandfly on

TSA (Thousands Standing Around) has lost all sense of reality. As an airlne pilot I deal with TSA more than the average taveler. In most cases they are "just doing their jobs". I do however have one huge disagreement with an apparent policy at LAS. Sometimes we finish trips very late at night especially during the winter weather season when delays are rampant. It is not unusual, especially at LAS for all hotel rooms to to be filled forcing us to find someplace to settle in for the night. Our crew lounge which requires a security badge to access is often the only placed for us to wait for the next morning's flights home. Apparently TSA has started coming down to the lounge and telling everyone they have to leave. Where are we supposed to go?

I fly over 200,000 miles per year through many airports all over the world. The US TSA is by far one of the worst agencies providing airport security. Mission creep, stupidity and arrogance has led us to a place where we have little security, a loss of privacy, and major misuse of discretion.

Submitted by JimH3109 on

I fully understand that the TSA agents have to work within a framework of rules and regulations that they have no control over. However, that does not constitute an excuse for poor attitude, inconsistency, and failure to use common sense. Perhaps they should occasionally be evaluated by non-biased evaluators because clearly half of the screeners seem to be completely incompetent and in a position over their head. They are not there to fulfill some ego trip. They are there to do a valuable, responsible job.

Submitted by GREGG on

Just what is being done about the theft problem at our nation's airports? Most recently, my Mother was again a victim of theft, this time flying from DFW to LAS from her checked suitcase that was secured with a TSA approved lock!!! As a travel agent for over 20 years, I am hearing from clients, as well as collegues from all over the nation that this problem of theft is quite prevalent. Has the TSA not been equiped enough to x-ray baggage? If so, why can we not secure our own bags against this theft problem???

Before TSA I traveled 90% for business over a period of 10 years. The only "incident" I ever had was a bag that went to Wichita KS instead of Wichita Falls, TX. Now - after TSA - I have had nothing but problems. The worst of which is that 50% of the time my suitcase has arrived OPEN. It had to be hand-carried because it was open. Why can't TSA at least figure out how to close a suitcase???
TSA, in my opinion, is most incompetent!!!! :-(

I don't care if this gets posted or not. I do care if TSA takes notice and takes action on the quality of the employees it hires! Or perhaps trains them better.

I fully understand that the TSA agents have to work within a framework of rules and regulations that they have no control over. However, that does not constitute an excuse for poor attitude, inconsistency, and failure to use common sense. Perhaps they should be somehow evaluated by non-biased evaluators occasionally because clearly half of the screeners seem to be completely incompetent and in a position over their head.

You'll have to excuse me for not joining in the chorus of accolades and fawning praise. I'll save that for when (if) I ever see results. As for my complaints and suggestions, I could waste 10 minutes of my life typing them here, but I know that they will fall on deaf ears. I'll just state the root of the problem which I hope you will seriously consider. If the purpose of "terrorism" is to inflict terror, then are you not adding to the fever by victimizing, disrespecting and inflicting fear and paranoia on your own citizens? We were hit 7 years ago in a lucky gambit by our enemies. That got the ball rolling, and you (the TSA, the NSA, the CIA and any other paranoid government agency that hides behind a catchy, 3-letter acronym) have finished the job. I am not bothered by out "enemies" overseas nearly as much as our "friends" hiding behind the airport badges. That is all I have to say. Go ahead, delete this comment and resume patting yourselves on the back.

I just want to know when we can get to a day when an appropriately dressed frequent traveler can pass through security and remain appropriately dressed the entire time? I'm talking belts, shoes, and most of all sweaters when it's 5 degrees outside in the winter. I'll take my coat off, but come on a sweater, in winter time??

In my opinion, the terrorist won with the formation of TSA.

Submitted by Christopher on

I've been in a long distance relationship for over a year now and it has given me an interesting opportunity to see some of the problems at various airports around the country. Milwaukee is lax. Boston/Logan employees were abusive to me. Orlando has their act together better then any other airport I've been to. I fly mostly Milwaukee Mitchell to Orlando and back. I've had some funny experiences transporting anything from live lobsters to apples pies. I've gotten some very different answers at different airports. I think this is one of the public's biggest gripes right now with the TSA. They both lack the knowledge of TSA policies but they also are not at all consistent with regards to policy enforcement. I think a lot of screeners need much more training. Example one, my girlfriend was flying from Logan to Milwaukee to Orlando. She had three live lobsters in a clearly marked box that was sealed with tape and had two ice packs in it. Boston Logan TSA cleared her with that as a carry on to Milwaukee. Milwaukee TSA said they could not allow liquids in carry-ons (the ice packs) so they confiscated them. BUT THEN, they told us right after security there was a bar that would give us some ice. They almost confiscated the lobsters as well. Example two, I recently traveled to Boston Logan with my girlfriend to see family for the holidays. The ticket was purchased by my girlfriend's mom who accidentally misspelled my last name on the ticket. I was flagged for additional screening at Milwaukee and was told if I went outside the secure area to smoke (I'm a smoker) that I would have to go through the special screening again. Our flight was delayed and I went out to smoke. I did not have to go through special screening the second time. Despite the fact that the first TSA agent marked my ticket as such. Here's my question, how did they miss me?! I am 7'1" tall!!! When I came home through Logan I was subject to no special screening and the TSA agent simply said, "Eh, I think you'll be fine..." I agree with other postings as well that valid but expired driver's licenses should be accepted. I never imagined I could get stranded domestically by an ID issue but it happened. I forgot my license expired on one trip to Orlando and Milwaukee cleared me with an expired license. Orlando almost didn't let me on the plane. You can often defeat any resistance you encounter by simply saying "Well they let me do it at the other airport". That's a big problem in my mind. Screeners should know policy and follow it to the letter. On the recent return flight I was also harassed by a Logan TSA (I don't remember her name nor would I post it) who felt it was perfectly fine to stop me in line, ID me, simply to find out how tall I was. This was EXTREEMLY demeaning and insulting. But, what could I do? If I raised an objection to her behavior I might be a suspect. This fear culture makes traveling horrible. She proceeded to joke with her friends about how tall I was. This was after STANDING in line for over an hour. Logan has the worst efficency for screening I have seen. Sad, considering it was a point of origination for 9/11. Would it be acceptable for a TSA to go up to a dark skinned black man and yell (she was yelling) "Man! You're a dark one!" or would it be ok for them to approach a fat person, "Holy cow your huge!" No, they would be in big trouble. Why is it OK for them to prejudice me just because of how I look? I have no control over that. Overall the screeners at Mitchell really don't seem to care to much. The screeners at Logan were abusive and SLOW! The line was only 50 people deep and it took over an hour. Orlando is the only airport I've been to that actually has their act together. The screeners have always been prompt and consistent in answering my questions. They are polite and move you through screening at a reasonable pace even when there is a large crowd. They seem to be actively engaged in what they are doing and not just chatting with co-workers like Logan or Mitchell. You should take a lesson from what they are doing down there and apply it elsewhere. If all airports were like Orlando you'd have a much better public opinion of the TSA. Logan also seems to be undersraffed. Thanks for the opportunity to gripe.

Having just completed a 5 week tour on "One World", am impressed with the consistency of the inspection process as well as the reasonable requests from 98% of the inspectors. For the most part, the process is fastmoving and fair.

Submitted by Billychris on

After going through various checks from vacation destinations, I find that most luggage checkers do not have too much concern for fragile souveniers that were carefully packed between layers of clothing.
Some of miine have been damaged because of a "rough" process.
I hope TSA promotes a softer and kinder check through luggage.
Here in Santa Maria, CA (SMX), the TSA Supervisor shot himself in the thigh beause he had personal issues. Has he been replaced yet, and released from TSA employment?

Thanks for the feedback area, it's needed. --- If one aim of the TSA is to move passengers through quickly, then WHY do we always see unused check stations sitting idle while we and many other people wait for long periods in line??? It needs to be policy for as many check stations to be manned as needed so as to always keep the lineup to just a couple of people.

Submitted by Logan Frequent Flyer on

I am a very frequent flyer.

Here is a security breach I have seen a few times: medical transplant organs transported on planes in a sealed cooler are not x-rayed or opened.

Yes, the cooler has a sealed security tape on it, and offical looking hospital labels, and everything looks 'proper', and the ice chest is accompanied by someone with a badge.....

But truly, how do you know a bomb isn't being smuggled in? How do you know the labels and security tapes weren't purchased the week before on ebay, or done up by some kid in Qatar with Photoshop? How do you know the badge is real?

It just seems to me that organ transplant coolers are a security breach waiting to happen.

The biggest problem I have at the TSA check points is every one is different. There is no consistantancy to the whole TSA Checkpoint system. I have been at 4 different airports in the past 7 months. Each airport does things different. Seattle has a little strickness to their order. But in Buffalo it is different each time you go in there. being a diabetic, I wear an Insulin Pump. 2 separate times I was asked to remove my pump to go through the x-ray machine. I am not supposed to take the pump off unless in the shower or pool. But when asked to remove it, the tone that is used makes me think I have done something wrong. At SFO I was yelled at for having it attached to me. But then on another occation at SFO I realized I had a lighter on me after I past TSA and went back to tell them and let them dipose of it and they told me not to worry about it. I just wish it was more consistant.

Submitted by Lesliepear on

I'd really like the liquid policy rethought somehow. It causes more checked baggage (usually one wants the toiletries with you in case of delays). Also you can't bring drinks at all - even juice boxes from the supermarket exceed the 3 oz rule.

Could the TSA have one line designated for people without any carry on (including purses and laptop bags) at all ?

I haven't flown in 10 years and brag about it to all my friends.

Submitted by Ajr on

I usually do not have a complaint or problem with the added security measures taken at airports, however, I do have a complaint with the "surley, impolite, rude and downright offensive" screeners at Washington Dulles Airport. I don't know what the chip on their shoulder is all about, however, I have noticed on the past three trips through security a Dulles, that the folks there do not treat passengers with respect. Yes, I am white and most of them are black, but that does not give them a free hand to harrass passengers, especially those with metal implants. I recently had to wait in the "box" for 13 minutes while the secondary screener in the next line took his sweet old time to check out my hip implant. After seven minutes of standing - and yes I did watch my watch - I asked the primary screener if someone could please come over and check me out. You should have heard the tyrate this person had when asked politely to have someone come over and finish screening me. I was told that "I could just stand there until they were good and ready to check me out and if I opened my mouth again, they would call the security police and have me arrested! If this is the way you train your screeners at Dulles to behave, God help us all!

The one thing that all security agencies say that helps the most is to be inconsistent and not set a routine because when you set a routine someone can monitor that and find the holes in it. So next time you travel just remember that routines kill…

Manchester NH..Wednesday jan 30...approximately 1:30 pm. Manchester is not a very big airport...but at the first checkpoint there are two (2) people who look at my photo ID and my boarding pass, so I think I am safe to proceed, especially since the screening conveyor is about 12 feet from THAT checkpoint. With all the things you have to take off your person, and to try to not lose my boarding pass, I put it my tote and take off shoes, watches, etc and send thru the scanner. I go to walk thru the personal scanner..and the guy there (again about 12 feet from the two people who just both reviewed my ID and boarding pass) says I need my boarding pass again. How I could have magically appeared in that 12 foot window of the world? But then, when I said that I had put my boarding pass in my tote and that is was in the scanner, the scanner monitor went balistic, yelling at all the people in the line to "KEEP YOUR BOARDING PASSES ON YOUR PERSON"..

Just more proof that the TSA employees are so aloof and think they are above reproach! I, however am not shocked...it's this way at all airports.

Hey, you know that lil 80 year old lady you've pulled out of the line to hand search?

She's not the person you're looking for.

We all know who the terrorist are. If 100% of all successful airplane hijackings were committed by Muslim Extremists, why do you NOT target Muslim Extremists?

I fly alot, and generally I am appreciated with the job TSA is doing. There are occasional inconsistancies that make a bit difficult to plan how to pack for each inspection. I carry alot of office electronics, and therefore garner a lot of attention, with which I have no problem. But now, I have to pull out my printer along with my computer, and this gives me my carry on bag, plus three bins to deal with. Is there anyway all this could be done differently? It seems like one airport screening I recently went through had a separate line for us computer geeks. It would make it alot easier for me, and the poor people who have to follow me if this could be expanded.

Submitted by Dan on

Awhile back I fly out of DIA. I go to the automated kiosk for a boarding pass. It wasn't working. A nice lady points me to a gentleman behind the counter and says he'll see that I get help. The man told me to retun to the lines but I protested politely that I'd now be at the back and an employee did direct me to him. He acted very put out. Right before he hands me my boarding pass he looks at me, gets this big smirk on his face, and pulls out a felt pen and makes a squiggly mark on my boarding pass. Sure enough when I got to the first Security agent she instantly directed me to secondary search were I and my luggage were put through the ringer. I've no doubt the airline employee had something to do with this with his marking my boarding pass. It sure seems like an abuse of the employees priviledges to earmark me like that because I inconvenienced him.

The TSA should seriously undertake study to manage lines. I traval a lot.. and my job is queue management.. Simply providing a "speed line" for people travling alone, without children and with not more than a laptop.. would speed business along very well. It is not the TSA's fault that we have to endure all the screening..but it is important to be aware of it's impact on business. People traveling have to leave work much earlier than they used to in order to catch that flight- making this faster for business travelers will have a positive impact on the economy.. reduce costs associated with travel and improve productivity.
What happened to that special card y'all were gonna do? Yeah.. the privacy activists dont want it.. but then.. they dont have to catch a plane.. every day.

The security checks couldn't be more dehumanizing and undignified. Nothing to hold on to while taking off/putting on shoes: it would be funny if it wasn't so stressful. Have to keep track of how many bins were used for personal belongings. Security? I'm scared I'm going to get my wallet or something else stolen in all the confusion and chaos--or else forget something. I resent being herded thru the checkpoint like cattle. And for what? Your employees still cannot detect bombmaking materials according to the government's own tests. We are human beings...and I wouldn't subject cattle to that kind of stressful experience.

Suggestions: hire a hotshot team to figure out how to get done what needs to get done: efficiently and with as little stress and indignity as possible. As an ex-government employee, I recognize a system designed by government with no thought whatsoever of the people who must endure it.

Submitted by SBC on

I have no objection to any of the security measures that are in place, and indeed welcome them. It is unfortunate that people cannot display both patience and courtesy to those whose job it is to provide screening. As I travel on a regular basis to Europe on business, I have noted that other countries are not so concerned with being PC! They indeed do give extra attention to those appearing to be Islamic, including women in full robe, as well they should. It would be helpful to ban all use of cell phones aboard planes, and to have more security within the airport itself, i.e. luggage areas, loading ramps, etc.

"We will not post comments that contain personal attacks of any kind; refer to Federal Civil Service employees by name; contain offensive terms that target specific ethnic or racial groups, or vulgar language."

Then what's the point? You want us to blow rainbows up your butt?

You people need to target Muslims, and you know it.

Thanks for this forum. Most of the comments I've read are right on the money - TSA agents are not consistently trained. Each airport seems to have differnt rules, and the agents are often rude and enjoy bullying passengers.

The liquid rule is a joke - in Philadelphia, they took my mascara. When I asked them to turn the tube upside down to see if any "liquid" came out - I was screamed at - "Do you want to fly today?" Very humiliating and unnecessary.

Secondly, the set-up in Philadelphia is ridiculous. They need A LOT more screeners there.

I just wanted to write about my most absurd TSA experience. About two years ago my daughter was blindly selected for "additional screening". She was three years old at the time, but still had to try and spread her arms and legs to be wanded by security while another guard studiously went through her Care Bears suitcase.

I'd like to suggest that more information is given to travelers waiting in line, as a way to speed the process once we get to the screening station.

On my last trip through Atlanta, I had the "pleasure" of having three TSA employees screaming orders at the stunned-looking travelers in line, demanding that they comply with various demands that hadn't been put on any of the signs up to that point...

I'm sure they were so rude to us because they were exasperated by our failure to comply with the safety procedures, but the reason for that failure was that nobody had known in advance.

We wanna get through the process as quickly and efficiently as you do, we promise. Just let us know what you want us to do before we get to the front of the line!

Submitted by PeterPatnter on

Dear TSA Friends,

Here in Reno one of the airport screeners told me that there was a discrepancy between the permitted-article rules announced in the media and the "actual" rules that the screeners are required to follow. In particular we were talking about a 1.5-inch (approximately) pocketknife that I had carried to the screening area. The screener told me it was true that the public had been told knives of that size were permissible, but actually such knives were NOT permissible. Please get the "right hand" and the "left hand" to work together on notifying the public of the actual rules -- so that articles don't have to be confiscated (or carried back to the traveler's vehicle in the parking lot) when the traveler has gone to the trouble of learning the publicized rules.

Hi,
I travel out of DFW, usually on American. I never had a problem on the screening there.

However, I once flew United at DFW and the screening process was a nightmare that resulted in a crack in my laptop computer. There was an inadequate "prep" area for people to easily get ready for the line, the line itself had gaps where people had to move all their things from the table and hold the baskets for an extended period.

Once I finally reached the real screening area, there was a ruckus right behind me as I went through the line. My purse and computer went through and the screeners would not let me join my belongings, nor would they retrieve them. (I didn't set off the alarms, I simply wasn't allowed to go through.) The person then rough-handled my computer (which I couldn't reach) and when I finally got over there, it had a crack and the hinge was partially broken. As the delay at the screening post was a long time, I didn't have time to talk to a supervisor about it or I would have possibly missed my flight.

This was the most frustrating experience, as it was mainly a disorganization thing, not a real issue with a passenger setting off alarms or getting abusive. There was simply an old man in wheelchair and that seemed to totally freak out the screeners.

Being separated from my computer and open purse for in excess of 15 minutes was really a problem in my opinion. They were not guarding the items, as they were totally preoccupied with the man in the wheelchair.

Mind you, this was the only time this has happened to me, but it only took one bad experience to damage my laptop computer. I did not file a claim, but I am glad to bring this sort of thing to your attention. It has been bugging me for a couple of years.

It seemed to me that the United screening setup at DFW needed some serious revamping. Again, I never experienced this issue at the American Airlines gates.

Thanks

I traveled recently and when my checked bag was returned to me, my IPOD was gone. I contacted the airlines, they stated they did not "cover" electronic devices. Wanting to follow up with TSA, the manager did not return calls to me to be able to file a report/complaint about this crime. I couldn't determine who had jurisdiction and never received return calls about my theft. It would have been nice to have a number on the ISA info tag that I could contact for this. I've dropped it, as I don't have the time and energy to follow up, but it put light on how I view the staff of TSA.

We had a negitive experience
On our return to Michigan, out of Hartford the TSA inspector was rude and careless. He unzipped my husbands golf bags and all it's compartments and never zipped them back up. So any balls, tees whatever was in those compartments was lost. I had clothes in my luggage in flat clear plastic zip bags. Those were unzipped and rifled through and not put backt he way they were found. We are in our mid 50's and cooperative people. This experience was disturbing.

As someone who flys every now and then, I've found the "quality of service" by TSA folks to be good, on average, but inconsistent across airports. Some airports have friendlier TSA people than others. But all seem to care about their job and are professional.

An ongoing concern, however, is whether we are getting the best people to work for the TSA. Not sure what the pay is, but if it's less than $40,000 a year, then it's hard to find quality people, just the more desperate people who have few options. This then is the frontlines of our national security, which is only as strong as the weakest link.

Submitted by Trvlor on

As a very frequent flier, I think this site will be a good way for me and others like me to both vent our frustrations at security checkpoints and praise those doing a great job. I just hope that TSA can and will be "fair and honest" during the editing/posting progress. I can see this going a long way in bringing together fliers and TSA staff in a positive forum. Thank you.

Submitted by Moses on

I'm curious if economic impact studies have been done evaluating the effect of ludicrous TSA decisions such as the 3-1-1 policy on airline revenues.

Personally, I fly a LOT less now than I did before 9/11, and I fly less and less often every time a new ridiculous policy is put in place. I don't fly less because I feel unsafe. I fly less because I don't appreciate submitting myself to a police state. I now frequently substitute long road trips for airline flights, or I just don't go. I'd consider rail travel more seriously if AMTRAK had any worthwhile national connectivity.

Even when I do fly now, it's only on trips that I can manage with only carry-on luggage. I refuse to check my luggage without locking it, and the TSA approved locks are a giant joke when everyone who handles the luggage has the master keys. I couldn't use my big suitcase even if I wanted to now, because it won't stay closed without locking it, and it has pre-TSA vintage built-in locks. I've even had friends tell me to fly with firearms because then I'd be allowed to put an honest-to-goodness lock on my luggage, but I Don't Do Guns, so that option is out. And it's not like the TSA's infamous passenger luggage matching policy has done anything to actually stop lost luggage, either.

Incidentally, having TSA officers and National Guard troops with guns in airports on past occasions actually scared me a whole lot more than the incredibly slim prospect of becoming victim of a terrorist act on the plane.

Really, that's what it all comes down to. The TSA keeps implementing all these onerous and (IMO) ridiculous security measures because they think it makes the people feel safer about flying. The people who actually believe that it's making a whit of difference need to rub a few more brain cells together. The rest of us know that it's a giant pit of wasted money and time relative to the actual odds of anything happening.

I think the insanity of this whole TSA debacle is represented well by the plight of some poor lady I passed in PDX who was having her souvenir fruit preserves confiscated for being in a container larger than 3 oz. Oh noes! The TSA must save us all from blackberry jelly!

You want the comments now, but when I did have a serious concern and actually drafted a letter to thge TSA, it was brushed off and nothing was ever done, you saying it was "routine". MY 80 year old mother in law who was dragged from her wheelchair at the insistance of TSA didn't think it was very routine. And the attitude of the supervisor who came on scene, his only response was to threaten to have me arrested when I said something. And you wonder why people dislike the TSA?

Submitted by Nancy on

To justify the liquids and shoe removal policy, I would like to see TSA post statistics on how many harmful liquids/gels have been siezed and how often, plus how many violations or security breaches have been found in someones's shoes.

I suspect the 80/20 rule would not even apply to these statistics: 80 percent of searches result in 0 breaches and 20% resulting in at least one breach. It would probably be more like 100% of the searches resulted in finding 0 violations.

How can these useless policies, that cost millions of dollars, not to mention inconveniences to passengers be justified?

Submitted by Pete on

Whoever made up many of the "rules" that TSA employees have to work under and us air travelers are forced to endure is really quite a moron. Everyone with any sense or real-world experience knows that using profiling is much more effective than what's being done now (go to Israel and be trained to spot someone who is going to do something bad on an airplane). There is no common sense to the rules: You can take 3 oz of liquid in a container. If the container says that it can hold 5 oz, yet it is readily apparent that the container only has about 2 oz in it, you can't take it through "security." Why? "Rules." Huh? Give me a break! Can't take knives or lighters on the plane, yet I have inadvertantly taken both on planes, and no one said anything in any of the 3 airports where I went through security. TSA DOES NOT make me feel more secure--it only pisses me off because of stupidity and inconsistent "rules."

I've been with TSA since it's inception at my local airport, and before that, I also worked for a private screening company since just past 9/11. Just a few quick comments and questions for travelers:

Do you realize that for every TSA screener that touches your checked baggage, there are literally dozens of airline employees that are touching them after they are screened?

How can you stand in line at your airline ticket counter, or at the airport checkpoint, staring at the screening process going on around you, and at the many posted signs........sometimes for an extended period of time.......and you still cannot comprehend what you need to do when you reach the screening area?

Why do "frequent flyer" business travelers or Biff and Muffy who are taking their kids out of school to ski the week away in Aspen or Vail, think that they deserve special treatment when they try to check in at their airline or try to get through the checkpoint ten or fifteen minutes before their flight departs?

When DHS/TSA was formed, there was an incredible opportunity to actually get something done correctly without the government bureacracy.............We started out with many ex-police officers, and ex-military personnel (myself included) that were truly grateful to have the opportunity to help the country that we love remain safe. Unfortunately, the vast majority of real professionals have all moved on away from the TSA because of the ridiculous management, and to some extent, the actual regulations that we are required to enforce............Not to mention the fact that each group of "new hires" coming in gets worse and worse. Most of the people hired now just want that Government Job. It doesn't matter that they don't understand the mission, as long as they can do their time and pick up their checks. Where we once had true professionals, we now have ex- housewives, fast food workers, shoe salesmen, cleaning service workers, and professional welfare collectors.

How can a Government agency promote by how well you fudge your resume, or pay someone to write your Knowledge Skills and Assessment questions? What ever happened to promoting someone because of their working knowledge of their job or their work ethic?

Sorry for the rant.........carry on!

First of all, what is happening today is based upon scare tactits by the government. Osama ben laden, the Teliban and Al Qaeda have been created and supported by the CIA for more than 20 years. This disinformation and propaganda is being promoted by the mainstream media. Furthermore, what is happening today is, that the government wants to militarize the world and control all the entire oil and natural gas reserves at the same time. That is why more than 3,000 people died, was for oil and natural gas. Additionally, everyone is one signature away from having martial law implemented and Constitutional and ALL Civil Rights be permanently suspended. It is time that the people have a revolt against the government because if the people do not revolt against the government, 99% of the population in this country will be enslaved by abject poverty.

If you do not believe what I have said, go to a search engine and enter (1) Rex 84, (2) Global Research and (3) Economy in Crisis.
Be aware, this information is shocking but true. Plaese pass this information on to others.

On a recent flight, the TSA screener noticed that I had an unopened bottle of gatorade in my briefcase. As I removed it, she took it out of mine hands, opened it and drank it in front of me.

Don't you pay these idiots enough to buy their own? What about courtesy?

You've had some nasty complaints that are really just rants, but you've also had some very fair and reasonable questions.

A BLOG PER SE may not be the right forum for responding.

If you actually want this thing to have some value, you need to structure it so that reasonable questions can be answered, and visitors can search for answers already posted, so they don't have to ask over and over.

If you don't do this, then this blog will have no value.

I am Josephine Traveler. I fly over 30 legs each year and 99.5% of those legs are effortless and smooth. Where I encounter issues is in airports that have very old or ESL TSA employees.
One screener that can't read the gov't issued ID and boarding pass in less than a minute can only process 120 people in 2 hours.
I have only encountered this at DEN. SFO & LAX TSA employees are great people processors.

I am tired of removing my shoes when the floor is filthy and no one can prove to me that shoe removal has stopped one event.