Safety Razors and Disposable Razors

Tuesday, August 17, 2010
Shaving razor, brush, and mug.

I've seen a lot of confusion out there on what types of razors are OK to take with you in your carry-on baggage. This post is just a quick and basic attempt to clear up any confusion. Let me just start by saying that electric razors are OK, but straight razors are a no-go.

Razor Blade
Disposable Shaving Razor

These two photos show a safety razor and the removable blade that they use. They're making a come back thanks to the close shave they provide and the extremely affordable price of the replacement blades. It basically unscrews and you can insert a razor blade. Because these razor blades are so easy to take out, safety razors are not permitted in your carry-on luggage with the blade. The blades must be stored in your checked luggage.

This is a disposable razor. They come in two types. The kind that is completely disposable (handle and all), or the kind where you replace them with cartridges. These are permissible in carry-on luggage with the blade and replacement cartridges.

This gentleman is shaving with a disposable razor. Good to go!

This gentleman is shaving with a disposable razor. Good to go!

This gentleman is shaving with a safety razor. No-go! (OK without blade)

This gentleman is shaving with a safety razor. No-go! (OK without blade)

This gentleman is shaving with a Samurai sword. No-go! (Swords must be checked with luggage)

Thanks!

Bob Burns

Comments

Geez, come on people. Lighten up - I mean rules are rules - oh, I forgot, we Americans do not like rules.
Well guess what?
We have them and we have to follow them or we can suffer the consequences. I am a senior - my husband and I do a lot of camping - and on a airline trip a few years back, I grabbed an on board allowed suitcase, threw some clothes, etc in and was on my way UNTIL going thru
TSA where I was pulled aside. I was NOT scared but wondered "what the heck?" Then the
TSA agent asked me why I had so many lighters in my carry on. I told
flashing eyes agent that I was a smoker and no I didn't need that many lighters and they simply accumulated over a period time and I simply ignored them when I had thrown my stuff into the bag. The passengers who had to wait for me elicited all the punishment I would ever need in my life. trust me. I imagine that the agents have to be so-called stoic or gruff as divergent tactics can be used to distract. Nope I'm not in law enforcement but just have lived long enough to realize that some unspoken rules are simplY COMMON SENSE.

Simply file a FORMAL COMPLAINT FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE

simply file a formal complaint - that easy.

Huh? Sounds fairly simple to me as it must be an absolute zoo trying to get huge numbers of people to understand that one CANNOT have razor blades in their carry on. Frankly, as a senior with some health issues, if a barker (as you called the individual) began barking more than five instructions at a time - why I'd be stripped down to me undies and, worse yet, wouldn't know where to put my prosthetic boob!!

Oh please, please STOP peoples. This site can be used productively if we all just attempt to stay on track. I imagine that most of us have seen or had to deal with unfair, bully people and have lived through it. However, if you are one of the folks who was given a policy to review -scanned it thoroughly, took it home every night to read again and again and the following morning took said policy in to work and said "My issue not in this policy and by gum I'm gonna go to the TOP WITH MY DISCOVERY."
So do a favor to the rest of us - Chill out - we've all been there done that. Nuff said

"Please god don't let the person on my flight."

Submitted by Liz on

Robert you seem to be the go to person so here goes. I've travelled by plane for many years - my first flight was from Medford, OR to Ft. Lauderdale.Fla in 1963 yet. Fun flying way back then. So my suggestion is a bit off the path of razor blades. I do have the opportunity of flying now and then and I just happen to be a people looker. I cannot tell you how many times I've seen a young woman hauling a couple of children with at least one child crying and mom looking like she was going to drop any minute. Then there is the senior citizen who can barely navigate for various reasons but sometimes simply due to exhaustion. I know that there are volunteers in every airport (at least the bigger hubs) but the volunteers are hard to find. Or they are sitting at a desk in the main terminal with smiles of their faces. So I wonder if it would be helpful if there were an App that was for those who may need a volunteer to answer a question, guide the passenger to a specific place, help with children, or lead them to a chaplain (if there is one). Of course one should not be able to go into the App if one did not have a code (ticket number?). The App explanation could be on the various places within a Blog. The only suggestion I would have is that the TSA not be in charge - if that is possible. Thank you -

Submitted by Michael on

Thanks for the clarification, and keep up the good work keeping us safe.

Submitted by Rick Johnson on

Thanks for the clear cut (pun intended) guidelines.

Submitted by Ben on

One of the great things about being an octogenarian is the leeway given. Keep,shoes on, belt on, kind looks and treatment, etc. you just have to answer queries about hip,replacement, pacemaker, metal,knees.

Submitted by Mr Timothy A Oakes on

We all like to look our best,especially after a long overseas flight,my wife says that I look better in the mug shots!!Seriously though I suggest that if one is going to the rest room for the "big cleanup"choose a quiet time if possible,not the last five minutes before landing,also inform a flight attendant of your intention to be a while
and allow them access to the rest room if they require it during your ablutions.Be aware of how much time you take,there are other passengers on the flight!THINK!BE AWARE.Have a fun flight,

Submitted by Pat Chase on

Go out in the yard and run face first into the side of your house, think about that for a minute,then imagine doing it at 300 miles per hour.I prefer a few moments of "inconvenience" rather than subjecting my family or friends to that scenario.

Submitted by FormerTSOinPHX on

T S A has NOT ruined an entire industry, terrorists trying sneaky ways to blow up commercial air craft are to blame. T S A will go away when Terrorists/Threats go away. T S A is also not the cause of your feeling absolute and total frustration as you approach the gate, your ignorance and pessimistic attitude you carry with you into the security checkpoint area is the cause. You obviously know the T S A "rules", so quit questioning them, abide by them and maybe you won't be so worked up and frustrated. Hell, apply for T S O job & then you can keep your shoes on, bring a drink and visit your loved ones as they depart at the gate while you are in uniform!!

Submitted by Lisa on

There is one more type of razor which should've been shown & clarified. Its commonly carried by barbers & beauticians next to a pair of scissors.

Submitted by Behind The Curtain on

TSA fails far too many tests to claim they are "keeping you safe." The 9/11 attacks succeeded b/c that very same gov't said aircrew we're to submit to a terrorist threat. THAT'S how we ended up with iver 3000 dead and a litany of gov't orgs that provide little to no service to the flying public. George Orwell would be proud.