TSA Travel Tips Tuesday - Traveling With Alcoholic Beverages

Tuesday, January 07, 2014
TSA Travel Tips Tuesday - Traveling With Alcoholic Beverages

Whether travelers are taking them on the road, or bringing them back from their adventures, alcoholic beverages are item that travelers often pack in their baggage. This is fine as long as a few guidelines are followed when packing.

Carry-on Baggage

• Travelers may carry as many 3.4 ounce bottles of liquid (mini bottles of liquor are 1.7 ounces) that fit comfortably in one, quart sized, clear plastic, zip-top bag. Comfortable means that the bag will seal without busting at the seams. One bag is permitted per passenger.
  • Liquids (including alcohol) purchased after clearing the security checkpoint are permitted on the aircraft.
  • FAA regulations state that “No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage.”

Checked Baggage

• Any amount of alcohol greater than 3.4 ounces must be packed in checked baggage.
  • Alcoholic beverages with more than 70% alcohol content (140 proof), including 95% grain alcohol and 150 proof rum, cannot be packed in checked luggage.
  • Travelers may take up to five liters of alcohol with alcohol content between 24% and 70% per person as checked luggage if it’s packaged in a sealable bottle or flask.
  • Alcoholic beverages with less than 24% alcohol content are not subject to hazardous materials regulations.

See you next Tuesday with more travel tips!

Follow @TSA on Twitter and Instagram!

Bob Burns

If you have a travel related issue or question that needs an immediate answer, you can contact us by clicking here.

Comments

So if the percentage is 9 percent I can bring over 5litre?

Can people under 21 pack alcoholic drinks in their checked luggage?

Submitted by Y J on

Is it okay for one below 21 years old to carry alcohol beverages in checked bagage?

I love this. How often do you drive to Europe or Hawaii haha!

Submitted by Richardnuaws on

Hello. And Bye.

So is it 3? Or 4 ? Mini bottles

Can you pack those mini bottles in your suitcase? The last I heard was that you actually can’t take those mini bottles on board. Usually you can’t take bottled water on board either...

Submitted by WiseGuy on

I am 35 and my wife is 18. We are traveling from Seattle to Denver, departing at 8:30pm. We want to carry on a 750ml bottle of whiskey (Seattle made) and a liter of a fine pinot (California vintage). Can we do this if we show our drivers licenses?

Submitted by Anon on

nerrrrrd

Submitted by Donald DuMas on

To show you the absolute idiocy of TSA regulations regarding those 3.4 oz bottles, consider this simple fact: If you were a terrorist and wanted to safely carry a seriously toxic or explosive liquid onboard a flight you were taking, the best way to do it would to use a binary or compound explosive or toxin (nerve gas, for instance is a two part toxin that is composed of two ordinarily harmless substances until they're mixed together) and then mix them together on the plane (and do it in your conveniently TSA Approved "magic baggie") Furthermore, there are literally HUNDREDS of innocuous two-part liquid explosives that are likewise perfectly safe until mixed. But there's no use in pointing out these sorts of things to the TSA. All you have to do is watch them go about their business at any airport to see the futility of trying to reason with them. NB: DHS: I am not a terrorist and am not suggesting that any one do any of these things so please do not kick my door in in the middle of the night or terrify my children or kill my dog as is your wont. I am simply doing my civic duty in showing my fellow Law-Abiding Americans what a bunch of complete half-wits you all are. Thank you in advance for not killing me.

Submitted by Deidre Taylor on

If excessive alchohol is removed from your luggage do they leave a tag in your luggage informing you?

Submitted by MDRaven on

Some states such, as Texas, do not permit unlicensed individuals shipping to individuals across their state borders, and many retail shops do not have registration to ship gifts of liquor to all states - so special wine, spirits gifts to friends, family can not be shipped direct to some states unless a retailer and shipper carrying the item has registration with the state of receipt; states have different laws concerning liquor shipment across state borders . Hand carrying a personal limited amount is generally permitted. Check state and local laws before assuming.

Submitted by Samiran Ukey on

I have bought 2.5 liters of whisky for my brothers wedding ceremony and im travelling from Philippines to india, can i take these bottles with me in my check in luggage, what is check in liquor limit for india? Please help!

That’s a customs question

Submitted by Dan on

Submitted by West Cooper on

Dan sez - "Can you travel with a 6-pack of unopened beer in luggage? less than 24% alcohol."

Yes, as long as it is in checked baggage. Safe travels.

Terrorists happened, Current World Population is 7,684,208,100 (at this moment http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/) and the current average population increase is estimated at 82 million people per year.

In 1955 we (the World Population) were 2,772,242,535 - so I guess it answers your question, there are lots of good people more but also, much more bad guys out there.. I don't like it either, but it is necessary to be stricter than before.. sadly

What would be nice is ONE regulation for all the airlines, in order to be sure what can and cannot be taken and be able to travel without having to surf through all the airlines policies and have a lot of unclear explanations differing from one site to the other..

Submitted by Neng on

Can a person carry $5k - $9k on themselves and go through tsa body scan or do hey have to put the money in their carry-on only?

Submitted by Chad on

Does a water bottle with a cap count as a sealable bottle ?

Submitted by Cole on

Can I bring an opened bottle of liquor in my checked luggage??

Submitted by AndyB on

Jefferson never said that. It dates back to a newspaper story in 1952.

Submitted by Bubba Fett on

So you sneak a shot of alcohol onto flights in a Listerine bottle because you’re too cheap to pay $5 for it. How can you afford to fly? Cheap bastards.

Submitted by ALEXIS FREITES on

Mi esposa coloca en el equipaje facturado. productos de la colgate y nunca hemos tenido problemas, ni en U.S.A. y menos en Venezuela

Submitted by Gary on

To say I have a new disdain for the TSA is an understatement. I packed three bottles, two of which were expensive rum, in a checked baggage. It would be clearly obvious on any modern X-ray device that these were unopened and in their original packaging. Yet what does some TSA agent do, destroy my suitcase opening it in the interest of "security". I call BS, and having served over 16 years in law enforcement, can only vision the heavy handed thug who did this enjoyed it. If they were truly concerned over a safety issues they would have located me and questioned me, not destroyed the zipper and lock system.

And you can’t carry that in any more. Brilliant

Submitted by Happy Traveler on

I purchased a couple bottles of beer in Frankfurt Germany. They were in the duty free tamper resistant bags. When landing in Atlanta to catch a connecting flight into Boston I was told it had to go in checked luggage?
Do the TSA rules only apply to “some” airports?

Submitted by Marnie on

Same thing happened to my friend when we returned from England. She had bought some very cools jams in. Ostwald...TSA confiscated the small,jars. Has anyone noticed two different bins...one for keepers and ones to really toss?

Submitted by Linda on

Submitted by West Cooper on

Linda sez - "I'm traveling to England with my boys ages 16, 13 & 11. My friends and family have requested local beer and wine from my state. Can I put alcohol in their checked luggage?"

Yes, you can include the beer and wine in your checked baggage - we see it all the time, and have no problems. If the beer or wine alarms, we resolve that alarm and send the bag on its way!

So just to make sure it's clear. As long as my beer is under 24% I can have as much will fit in a checked suit case?

My 4 bottles of rum were confiscated when connecting through San Salvador with TSA cited, although my impression was that that it was permissible to carry Duty Free all the way to the US point of entry. BEWARE!!