TSA Workers Deserve More than an IOU

Wednesday, February 25, 2015
A photo of three Transportation Security Officers

If by the end of the week the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not receive funding, the Department shuts down. A shutdown for the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) means that most of our employees would still continue to come to work, without receiving a paycheck for that work until the shutdown ends.

As a counterterrorism organization, our dedicated and professional workforce will - in the event of a shutdown - continue to secure our nation’s transportation systems, without pay, just as they did during the government shutdown of 2013. Over ninety percent of our workforce – that’s about 50,000 employees – would continue to report to duty.

Yes, critical operations would continue, but the support for those operations would cease. Approximately 6 percent of the TSA workforce would be furloughed. Hiring would cease. Required training would cease. Travel associated with routine planned security inspections would cease. Deployment of security technology equipment would potentially be delayed.

Although TSA is most recognized and known for our work in nearly 450 airports throughout the United States, our national security mission includes mass transit and passenger rail, as well as pipeline and container traffic. These transportation systems play a vital role in driving the engine of our economy.

TSA officers rely on the development of new technologies, the sharing of reliable intelligence, and screening procedures that can be adapted to address the ever evolving threat. These vital functions depend on a secure budget.

As a civilian government workforce, the men and women of TSA have sworn an oath to protect the traveling public. As fathers, mothers, husbands, wives, partners, sisters and brothers – this responsibility is not without sacrifice.

The vast majority of TSA personnel – including frontline operational and support personnel– rely on biweekly paychecks to support themselves and their families. If DHS does not receive funding, these employees would not receive biweekly paychecks for their work during the shutdown until Congress acts. They deserve better than the proposition of coming to work every day on an IOU.

We hope that Congress will pass a clean budget for DHS. In the meantime, TSA remains dedicated to our mission to protect the nation's transportation systems and ensure freedom of movement for people and commerce.

Melvin J. Carraway
Acting Administrator

Follow @TSA on Twitter and Instagram!

If you have a travel related issue or question that needs an immediate answer, you can contact us by clicking here.

Comments

Whenever I travel through Europe, the checkpoint experience is much better. The number of people working at their checkpoints is about half of what the TSA has at similar sized airports. Yet, the European airports are able to get people through security much faster than the TSA is able to. They are more polite and don't bark orders at the passengers. Why are these other airports able to handle security more efficiently with less people than the TSA is able to?

Submitted by Rosemary Blair on

My heart is broken and yes I'm concerned. God Bless you all.Thank You so much for all you do in protecting the public citizens of the U.S.A. :)

Look's like tomorrow may be a great day if Congress fails to fund DHS.

Please do a walk out. We're all counting on you.

Submitted by @skywaymanaz on

Is it right that TSA employees should have uncertainty about their paychecks? Of course not. Guess what else isn't fair? A lot of what they've imposed on the public in the last 13 years. Refusing to accept valid US drivers licenses from multiple states and territories. Violating a stroke victims civil rights denying her screening because she was unable to speak to confirm her identification. Elderly strip searches. Soiling passengers with their own colostomy bags. Invasive wheelchair children pat downs. Threatening children by saying they were terror threats. Forcing a mother to drink breast milk. Spoiling life saving medicine or confiscating it. Forcing wounded warriors to remove their prosthetic limbs. Forcing sexual assault victims to endure invasive pat downs where they were violated. Initially without the right to withdraw consent because once screening starts it must be completed. Joking with a passenger that there are drugs in their bag. Oh and at the same airport arresting two different passengers in recent years on false claims.

Reasonable screening is needed at our airports even without outside threats. We saw plenty of home grown nuts in the 60's and 70's cause enough trouble to require this. What has been happening since TSA took over has more and more over the years gone beyond reasonable. The one size fits all policies from DC (do screeners now know where that is btw?) have caused almost all of the problems listed above. They continue to create new ones constantly even with the best of intentions. We've seen plenty of your screeners over the years that don't have the best of intentions. You are far more likely to be victimized by someone in a blue TSA uniform than you ever were from any threat they should be protecting you from.

I personally wouldn't ever fly again if that was the case, but you people complaining about security, please feel free to build a security free airport and send your family, children and parents through. Simple solution and no hassle.
Anonymous

Submitted by Susan Richart on

Wow! You really stacked the deck, Bob! How many IOUs did you have to call in to get all the pro-TSA comments?

screen shot/DHS OIG statement

And the scanners cannot detect an underwear bomb, so...

" Anonymous said...
A simple walk thru metal detector run by the airlines worked great on 9/11."

September 11th was not a failure of screening. And nothing the TSA does now would have prevented September 11th. Nor will it prevent the next similar incident.

Submitted by SSSS For Some Reason on

Anonymous said..."You say this now until an explosive is passed through seeing as a metal detector isn't capable of finding it. Or is another incident like 911 plenty enough"

It can happen now and TSA wouldn't know about it until there was an explosion.

It takes about two minutes of internet searching to see how to get past the nudie-scanners I am pretty sure the terrorists (however few of them there really are) know how to use google.

And here is the thing you completely missed.... if somebody blew up an airplane I would be blaming the person responsible and not some useless agency that is merely putting on a show to keep some of the people happy and flying.

A simple walk through metal detector managed by a private company was in place on 9/11.. fyi"

Yes, we heard you the first time.

For your information, September 11th was a not a failure of security screening. Nothing the TSA does now would have prevented it then and nothing they do now is actually preventing the next incident.

Submitted by SSSS For Some Reason on

Thomas Joy said...
I have never had a problem with TSA anywhere where I have flown.

Good for you. My experience is very much different. Now that we have established that.....

"... Some people complain about being detained to long or gripe about their privacy. "

I remember travelling before the TSA when security lines were measured in minutes, not hours. And I also remember the ticketing agents checking to make sure I was me and not having to say, out loud in front of a bunch of strangers, what my name and date of birth is. Why does the TSA person need me to say, out loud, my name and date of birth. S/He can't verify it is correct so what is the point?

"...American people have become a bunch of prudes and need to lighten up."

No. We are light enough, thank you. The American People used to be a proud and independent group that would never stand for this kind of intrusion in our lives, and to go through this dog and pony show the TSA puts on simply to look like something is being done would never have been accepted in the past.

"...These agents take a lot of insults and abuse..."

We can't ALL be wrong, can we?

"...by TOUCH ME NOT PASSENGERS that feel they are being victimized and embarrassed by the process."

"... Nobody is forcing you to fly."

Please tell me which bus will get me from Florida to London.

"...Personally I have no complaints. "

Again, good for you. Although..... you do seem to sound kind of complain-ey when talking about how prudish the rest of us are.

"...At what point is not enough security vs to much security ?. "

"...You will never get everyone to agree on a specific policy."

And? Obvious much?

"...Lighten up people or your next flight may come at 30,000 feet with someone sticking a gun in your ear."

And even with that only slightly rational fear, it hasn't happened yet. And not because the TSA prevented it from happening, it hasn't happened yet because there aren't that many terrorists out there trying to blow up planes. I mentioned florida earlier..... I've a better chance of being struck by lightening then having my plane crash. And the odds are a tenth of that for someone sticking a gun in my ear at 30,000 feet.

September 11th still wasn't a failure of security screening. It's not going to become true, doesn't matter how many times you say it.

Nothing TSA does now would have prevented September 11th then and nothing they are doing now will prevent the next incident.

That is what they had when 9/11 happened.
If your loved one was on that flight you'd think differently

No. Wrong on both accounts.

Nothing TSA does now would have prevented September 11th if it was in place then. Nothing the TSA does now will prevent the next incident.

Anonymous said...So I guess we should go back to the days before 911 where contract workers were in charge of airport screening? We all know what happened. I'm glad we have an agency to help prevent another attack on our homeland.February 26, 2015 at 7:03 AM
-------------------------------
This comment, or one substainally the same, is posted every now and again. While it is true that contract screeners were on the job on 9/11 that is where the truth ends.

The 9/11 terrorist took items aboard that were allowed at the time. So the screeners did not fail that day.

So who did fail? If the screening guidelines were at fault then the U.S. government is the party to blame, the same government that has taken over all screening gunctions.

Submitted by SSSS For Some Reason on

Who, besides you, is asking for and airport with no security?

Before 2002, before the TSA inserted itself in the process of flying, we has security. Baggage scanners and walk-through-metal-detectors proved sufficient. And like that other anonymous who keeps insisting otherwise, September 11th was not a failure of the walk-through metal detectors. September 11th happened because the police was to comply with the bad guys and it was pretty easy to get into the cockpit of the aircraft. Neither of those are the case today. If someone tried to take over an airplane today they are going to beat into a fine meat paste that will take weeks to clean out of the carpet.

-------------------------------

Submitted by Susan Richart on

"Anonymous said...
I believe people have freedom of speech and my comment is this: If so many are against TSA, why not build an airport with no security and run it the way you want."

Please give us links to any statements made indicating a desire for no security at airports. You can't do it because no one here has ever said they don't want any security.

What people who are able to think for themselves and who don't fall for the continual fear-mongering want is to go back to pre-9/11 security. It's that simple.

screen shot/DHS OIG statement

Submitted by Mcmadnes on

I must live on another planet. The TSA here are courteous and professional and the amount of firearms the confiscate each shows they are on the job and keeping us safe. I don't know any other person that would go to work if they are not being paid and the TSA has and will again. I appreciate and thank them.

Submitted by Villa Anderson on

I think we need Tsa, Yes it is a pain waiting in line and having to take our things and put them in buckets, or whatever they are called, ALL the violent people are at fault they are the ones we should be upset with, I have never had any problems here in the United States, I have only been taken aside in London and asked why I was their , i told them I had never been to England, And I was going to see the profesers son, they looked at me like I was crazy.It made me feel like I was not telling the truth , but I was.My name is Villa and we need the Tsa.and I am not ashamed to say it.

Submitted by Mike Toreno on

[QUOTE]I believe people have freedom of speech and my comment is this: If so many are against TSA, why not build an airport with no security and run it the way you want. No security and you can carry on whatever you want. That is freedom for people. You don't have to worry about anyone telling you what you may and may not have.
Anonymous[/QUOTE]

Such a scenario would be safer than what we have now. The TSA clerks are lazy and slovenly, more interested in committing perjury against passengers than in doing their jobs. They are so focused on peanut butter and cupcakes that they fail to detect 70% of all firearms, so that any planned attempt at penetrating the checkpoint could not fail. All the TSA does is create a backed-up line at the checkpoint, and this results in a concentrated mass of passengers, vulnerable to attack. This is the only effect the TSA has on aviation security. They don't successfully detect firearms or explosives other than those that brought to the checkpoint by accident. All they do - all - is to create a slow-moving line of passengers. It would be safer to let the passengers disperse through the terminal than to be concentrated in that line.

Everyone here wants security when they fly. It is the way which security is conducted that people have issues with the TSA.

In 1755 (Pennsylvania Assembly: Reply to the Governor, Tue, Nov 11, 1755), Franklin wrote: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

We should not give up our dignity or basic liberties because it is easier for TSA to insure security. That is the main issue.

" Anonymous said...
A simple walk thru metal detector run by the airlines worked great on 9/11."

SSSS for Some Reason said...
Thomas Joy said...
I have never had a problem with TSA anywhere where I have flown.

come on, there is never a wait anywhere near that. Most waits are less than 10 minutes. You are hurting your credibilty with your exagerations. And I also remember the ticketing agents checking to make sure I was me and not having to say, out loud in front of a bunch of strangers, what my name and date of birth is. Why does the TSA person need me to say, out loud, my name and date of birth. S/He can't verify it is correct so what is the point? that practice has ended over a year ago.

"...American people have become a bunch of prudes and need to lighten up."

"...These agents take a lot of insults and abuse..."

We can't ALL be wrong, can we? yes, I believe you can all be wrong. you are certainly in the extreme minority of opinions.

Prisoners don't get this kind of inspection when they have been arrested. So why should I accept this kind of treatment just because I choose to travel by air? The desire to fly is not reasonable suspicion. and not everyone gets a pat down.

"... Nobody is forcing you to fly."

Please tell me which bus will get me from Florida to London. you could charter a flight. Your choice to fly commercial,

"...Personally I have no complaints. "

"...At what point is not enough security vs to much security ?. "

At what point is personal responsibility more important than spending eight billion dollars a year for something that can only be proven worth while by what it can't prove? The WTMD's and baggage scanners worked plenty good before 2003. AND they met the legal definition of an Administrative Search in regards to our 4th and 5th Amendment rights. threats change and thus technology needs to change with it

"...You will never get everyone to agree on a specific policy."

And? Obvious much?

No. I mean it's possible, but so unlikely as to not be something I am worried about. I am much more worried about all the crap in the cargo hold that hasn't been looked at in any way. And I'm not talking about our bags, I'm talking about the containers of stuff that gets contracted to the airlines from the courier companies. You might be flying with a container of UPS or FedEx packages that is full of explosives with a crude altimeter-timer and TSA would never know it was there, nor would you, until boom. 100% of baggage and cargo are inspected

I agree with your statistics, but I disagree with the root reason for your safety

MELVIN Carraway - open your eyes!violate passengers basic human rights by humiliating them through yelling, taunting and touching in both male and females in their private parts... and you want to be treated better??.. Melvin, act as a passenger, go through your TSA lines and you'll finally feel the words your thousands of passengers have been telling you and these posts.. start firing a lot of people. Who hires these mean and degenerate employees?... Your hiring personnel need to be the 1st ones to go!

"And i have no problem showing ID and being searched."

Please provide proof that showing ID and being virtually strip-searched and/or being groped by a government employee and/or paying $85 for PreCheck contributes to meaningfully safer air travel. Please provide evidence that the virtual strip searches, etc. are worth the attendant violations of human and civil rights and the financial cost ($8B/year).

"Since 911, how many planes in the US have been hijacked?? Case closed."

That is a fallacious argument that some pro-TSA folks love repeating. The valid version of that question is this: "Since 9/11, how many terror attacks have been foiled by TSA?" If no attacks have been made, there has been nothing for TSA to foil. How can you assess TSA's effectiveness if there are no terrorists attempting to pass checkpoints? (Considering TSA caught only 30% of prohibited items in internal tests leaked to the media a few years ago and has not made updated statistics available, I'm betting TSA would not fare well against an intelligent terrorist.)

If you intend to counter that TSA has a deterrent effect, please do provide evidence that it is, in fact, TSA that is a deterrent as opposed to locked cockpit doors, an end to the practice of airplane crews and passengers cooperating with terrorists, or some other non-TSA factor.
Submitted by Susan Richart on

"that practice (name-game) has ended over a year ago."

Are you certain? "Got the name game at pre-check at JFK today, terminal D. Seriously? I thought we were done with this crap."

"100% of baggage and cargo are inspected"

The "system" the TSA has established for becoming a known shipper or a facility that inspects cargo is wide open to bribery and tampering.

"yes, I believe you can all be wrong. you are certainly in the extreme minority of opinions."

Obviously, you don't read comments to articles about the TSA which are, in the vast majority, anti-TSA and acknowledge that your organization is worthless.

screen shot/DHS OIG statement

"Since 9/11, how many terror attacks have been foiled by TSA?

Answer? More than you'll ever know.

Most threats and attacks foiled by TSA are not public knowledge for security and investigatory reasons.

Don't believe everything you read and assume you can read everything.

"I invite all TSA employees to not report for work regardless of the budget process."

I invite you to not share opinions anyone cares about.

Submitted by SSSS For Some Reason on

SSSS for Some Reason said...
come on, there is never a wait anywhere near that. Most waits are less than 10 minutes. You are hurting your credibilty with your exagerations. "

You are welcome to visit my local airport on any weekend when the security line can be 90 minutes or more. The little rope maze that is set up is full, the second area of ropes is full, then the line goes across the pedestrian bridge and out into the parking garage by another 75 to 100 people. Would you prefer I take a picture and post it somewhere for you?

"...that practice [saying your name aloud] has ended over a year ago."

Again, I invite you to visit my local airport sometime. There is an airport person directing passengers to the back of the security line, across the pedestrian bridge and out into the garage. When you get up to the first little rope-maze area there is a gap between this rope-maze area and the next rope-maze area. There is a TSA Agent standing between the two barking at passengers who don't cross the gap between the two fast enough. Then when you make it through the primary rope-maze area, there are as few as one and as many as three Agents checking ID's. They may or may not ask you to say your name out loud, it is kind of random but if you watch for more than a few minutes you can see they do it to about every third passenger. Is this one of those layers of security we keep hearing about?

I would love to know what on earth makes you think this. 9-11 absolutly would have been prevented under current TSA policies and proceedures.March 3, 2015 at 1:04 PM

?..............................
Under policies in place today yes TSA would have prevented 9/11 as would have the screeners on the jon on 9/11 who were enforcing government mandated standards.

It was the government standards in place that failed on 9/11 not the screeners.

Submitted by Puddintane on

" Anonymous said...

"Since 9/11, how many terror attacks have been foiled by TSA?

Answer? More than you'll ever know.

Don't believe everything you read and assume you can read everything"

Thank you for the best laugh I've had in a week! You must be TS"O"Ron.

Anonymous said...

"I invite you to not share opinions anyone cares about.March 6, 2015 at 9:17 PM
*******************************

Invitation not accepted!

Submitted by SSSS For Some Reason on

"Since 9/11, how many terror attacks have been foiled by TSA?

Answer? More than you'll ever know.

More than we'll ever know! That's rich!

The TSA posts every friday an unnecessarily long blotter post telling us about how many guns were found, how many things that looked like something else but weren't a threat but had to be prevented from flying just in case, and each and every week alluding to something that might have happened but didn't.

If commercial aviation was so incredibly fragile that a customer-service-grenade-pin-gag is a threat, then how come airplanes aren't raining out of the sky in the parts of the world that don't have TSA?

If there are 'more than we'll ever know' then how come we don't hear about it from other countries? The ones that don't have TSA?

And how come there aren't any media reports or police reports about the arrests of those terrorists?

Thank you for the most entertaining thing I have heard in months!

I am astonished by how much people dislike TSA.

Why don't all TSA just not show up for work for a few weeks and see what happens??

BTW the private security companies at airports such as the one in California, they have the same rules and guidlines as TSA and they get paid the same. Only difference between TSA and a private security company is that TSA is government funded and gets a decent insurance plan.

Don't like TSA don't fly, there are boats and buses and trains. There are more means to travel than just flying so go ahead and mess with the short route to where ever you are wanting to go.

Submitted by Roger Dee on

Susan Richart and RB must be disgruntled former TSA employees, due to the fact that they spout such venon for TSA and the many dedicated employees that work at said agency. Both of you need to find a new career or hobby. Your comments are so irrelevant. It is a dangerous world out there and we need intense security at all very public areas especially at airports. Somebody say reality check is in order for certain individuals.

I am astonished by how much people dislike TSA.

March 8, 2015 at 9:06 PM

..................
That's the spirit.

I agree completely.

The airlines and airports should be responsible for the security of their property and customers, not the federal government.

"Reason for taking off shoes is because of the shoe bomber that took place a few years ago."

You mean the one that did not originate on a US flight, and was so inept that he was caught by other passengers? That shoe bomber?

Yeah... Was never a credible threat, and there has been no other attempts at shoe bombs.

Submitted by Susan Richart on

"Reason for taking off shoes is because of the shoe bomber that took place a few years ago. But the public doesn't hear everything that TSA does because like another person stated its for security reasons and the public would probably freak out even more if they knew everything that TSA caught."

Another poor misguided soul who is probably afraid of his or her own shadow.

screen shot/DHS OIG statement

"Don't like TSA don't fly, there are boats and buses and trains."

Ah that trite argument rears its head yet again. Driving is statistically far more dangerous than flying (even without a TSA), yet you advise people to make long-distance drives instead of flying. Your advice would actually kill more people than terrorists would!

By the way, US citizens have a right to fly. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Submitted by Susan Richart on

Sorry to disappoint you, Roger Dee, but I will fight the TSA and DHS and the Patriot Act for as long as I live and breathe.

Not "a few," over 14. And yet TSA STILL did not implement the full shoe hysteria until 2006, and nothing bad happened, and no other country on the planet has the same shoe hysteria TSA does, and we've seen no other shoe bombings, attempted or otherwise. It's not that TSA's shoe hysteria is deterring anyone, it's that shoes are a really, really dumb delivery mechanism for explosives.

Submitted by Jared Langstone on

Submitted by Wintermute on

Jared Langstone said...
"I agree,TSA agents deserve more, way way more. To keep this country safe from the ever increasing threats, and to avoid an always a looming 9/11, we need more for our TSA agents."

There is not another looming 9/11. What we need for our TSA Agents is jail time for violating their oaths to defend the Constitution of the United States of America.

Ah, so "Roger Dee" is the lying, accusing TSA employee who attacks any critic of the TSA with numerous misspellings.

Roger, do you approve your own comments?

Submitted by S T on

I am disgusted that hard working, diligent TSA agents who protect us from threats such as plastic 3D printer guns and bullets, potentially harmful liquids and gels (won't show up on metal detectors) are not being paid and are asked to continue to protect us. Shame on the politicians who don't put themselves in harms way by flying commercial causing this shutdown.
I wish I could do more than offer my sincere appreciation to every TSA agent working for US for FREE. This is a travesty of America.

If TSA employees do not get paid by mid January due to the shut down then you guys should not show up to work. Clearly our politicians need a wake up call and you guys have the power to provide them with that. Thanks for what you do.

Submitted by JMHO on

Um,, I can still slash your jugular with the knife. You apparently are not aware that they are used to cut with their sharp edges, not just for stabbing. Quit being a little sissy whiner and complaining about an agency trying to keep us all safe.