USA Flag

Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

Transportation Security Administration

@AskTSA Travel Tips In Over 140 Characters: Can I Fly Without ID? What about Real ID?

Thursday, March 03, 2016
A photo of a U.S. passport and a boarding pass
A screen capture of an @AskTSA message

Did you forget your ID at home? Did you lose your wallet or purse? Did your license expire and you don’t have time to renew it before you travel? No worries! Simply approach the TSA travel document checker and let our officer know. We’ll ask you to complete a form to include your name and current address, and may ask additional questions to confirm your identity.

If we can confirm your identity, you’ll be cleared to proceed through security and may be subject to additional screening. If we can’t confirm your identity with the information you provide or if you’re not willing to provide us with the information needed to help us make a determination, you may not be permitted to make the trip.

If you do not have your ID, please allow extra time for check in. We would not want you to miss you flight. In addition, please note that temporary IDs are not valid at the security checkpoint. Please see the list of approved identification below.

List of Approved Identification

TSA does not require children under 18 to provide identification when traveling with a companion within the United States. We recommend you contact your airline for questions regarding specific ID requirements for travelers under 18.

  • Driver's licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
  • Permanent resident card
  • Border crossing card
  • DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
  • Airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
  • Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
  • HSPD-12 PIV card
  • Foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
  • Transportation worker identification credential
  • Immigration and Naturalization Service Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
A screen capture of an @AskTSA message

Let me set the record straight. We’ll continue to accept valid driver’s licenses and identification cards issued by all states until January 22, 2018. See our FAQs on REAL ID.

An infographic of Real ID


Ask TSA icon

If you’re scratching your head and wondering what @AskTSA is, it’s a small team of TSA professionals from various agency offices who answer TSA related questions from the traveling public that are sent via Twitter. You can read more about the program in this recent USA Today article.

You may also wish to consult with your airline about any policies they may have regarding the item (s) you’d like to travel with.

If you have any TSA related travel questions, please send a tweet to our @AskTSA team. They’re available to answer your questions, 8 a.m. - 10 p.m., Eastern Time, weekdays; 9 a.m. - 7 p.m., weekends/holidays.

Follow @TSAon Twitter and Instagram!

Bob Burns
TSA Social Media Team


Submitted by RB on

Where exactly does TSA gain authority to restrict a persons freedom to travel without due process?

Why does ID matter when the individual is screened for WEI?

I would say what TSA represents but you people won't post the truth.

Submitted by Anonymous on

Except you failed to explain how ID affects in any way the security of the aircraft and it's passengers? How does who I claim to be make any difference?

Submitted by Stef on

At what age do children need identification in order to fly?

Submitted by Anonymous on

What's the point of asking for ID in the first place? If you're screening people adequately, what does it matter if they have any ID at all with them?

Submitted by Fix The TSA on

Why does the TSA think that they should touch someone's breasts, buttocks, and genitals, in addition to groping through his's private property, just because he forgot or lost his ID?

Think about it. The screener goes through whatever public databases you use to determine that the passenger is who he says he is. He has been identified, probably to a greater degree that just showing a driver's license.

Therefore, as an identified passenger, he should not be subject to any more degree of abuse and violation than any other person*.

So why is this retaliatory process forced on someone without a card? TSA SOP forbids retaliatory actions, but there is no other explanation for how people without an ID card are treated by screeners.

*Yes. I do know other flyers with ID are groped and their bags torn apart by screeners.

Submitted by Fix The TSA on

West, it's been a week or more since we played your "delete and deny" game in the Feb 8 post comment section. What actions have you taken to get a manager or someone higher up than the blog team here to address the serious issue of missing (deleted) comments?

Submitted by Susan Richart on

DHS will blink in 2018 also.

It's amazing the number of people who apparently are flying without ID of any kind - not that it matters, however, except to the TSA.

screen shot/DHS OIG statement

Submitted by Https://www The... on

The main drawback of the Real ID is that it gets scanned. ANYTHING that can be scanned CAN BE Hacked! So, as we now have to get these New Drivers Licences or as they are called Real IDs to be able to board a plane to fly within the United States, we will also be making ourselves more vulnerable to having our identities stolen! True Hackers are getting more sophisticated everyday. How many news reports have we seen about Target stores and other stores who got Hacked, and anyone who used their debit or credit cards at those stores were left vulnerable to that hack.
These Real IDs are going to be no different. There will be an intelligent and sophisticated enough Hacker out there to create a program to steal our identities. And once ALL of someone's Real ID information is out there, and getting used, what do they do then?
Don't think it can't happen, there are more chances it can, than can't.

Submitted by Anonymous on

Why bother checking ID's at the checkpoint. You aren't comparing them to no fly lists there. That is done when the ticket is purchased. As long as everyone is properly screened and has no weapons, I don't care if they are on my plane. They can't do anything without no weapons. The airlines can check ID's if they want for revenue protection.

It seems like the ID checkers could be assigned to screening and that would be a better use of resources. This is especially true since there have been long lines reported at a lot of airports and your Ask TSA twitter account is recommending arriving 3 hours early for domestic flights.

Submitted by SSSS For Some Reason on

How is ID in any way important for security? It has already been demonstrated, repeatedly even, how to get around this idea of yours... for example: You book a flight using a fake ID, one that isn't on the watch list. You use a fake boarding pass that matches your real name and real ID at the TSA choke-point. Then you get on the plane using the fake id and ticket you started with.

Your job is to inspect the passengers for WEI. Why do you care what our name is?

Submitted by RB on

If TSA is doing a bang up job then how come people all over the country are complaining about long, slow lines, missed flights, and other abuses by TSA screeners like the screener that sent a wheelchair bound person to the end of the line after complaing about the long TSA line at that airport. Source? @AskTSA!

Submitted by Tramky on

The original question stated that the person didn't have a passport. Was this an international flight, I didn't think that leaving THIS country without a passport is prohibited. What would the person be doing if he/she arrived in, say, Italy with no passport? Of course, THAT is the passenger's problem, not TSA's.

On the other hand, what does any of this have to do with safety on a flight? It could be argued that anyone with a boarding pass AND who is screened at a security checkpoint should be permitted to board a plane. And that security checkpoint screening should involve ONLY consideration of safety on the plane, and NOT include such extraneous activities like looking for drugs. A passenger in possession of illegal drugs is still NOT a threat to flight safety. A baggy of marijuana? Why should TSA care--might as well be grass clippings. A small box of crystal meth? Might as well be rock candy.

But the fact is that TSA security checkpoints are a portal to every law enforcement agency in the world--and I do mean EVERY.

Submitted by Shannon on

It's a bit different here in the UK, travelling to the rest of Europe...Many people think that you can still travel to Europe on an expired passport or that they can simply use their driving license or valid photo ID. This belief often stems from reports of European citizens using identity cards to both travel in Europe and visit the UK. In many cases European citizens do have the right to do this, but it is often restricted by certain conditions and time limits and unfortunately this does not apply for British Citizens looking at travel abroad, you must have a Full UK Passport in order to travel outside the UK.

Submitted by Martin on

If you have the citizenship of a european country, you are also automatically a citizen of the European Union. Therefore You have a right of residence for three months. As EU citizens , you may , for example, stay for three months in Germany. All you need is a valid identity card or passport.

Submitted by RB on

@AskTSA and other official TSA government Twitter accounts seems to have a habit of blocking some Tweeter users. When did government abolish the First Amendment?

Civil rights violation TSA.

Submitted by Richard Ebert on

How does a person legally transport a firearm on a domestic flight?

Submitted by Ava Blair on

What about medications and cosmetics? What are the restrictions?

Submitted by Hernán on

Can you carry on trekking poles

Submitted by Fix The TSA on

West, why hasn't anyone replied to the three questions above?

Submitted by Unknown on

Can I bring pottery ornaments in my hand luggage?

Submitted by Dashman on

I have global entry and kcm so I have precheck every flight. Today I was jumping to training. The FO for my flight was randomly selected for additional screening in MOT your sup said no it's fine. Im the next person through the metal dector, no alarm I'm pulled out of line for "random" inspection wasn't even given the option to opt out of the body scanner which I had to go back in line for which I haven't went through in almost 2 years.

Submitted by Karri Callaway on

My wallet was stolen 6 days before my flight. I had to apply for reissue of my drivers license which can take up to 30 days to receive the hard copy. Will the temporary license be accepted at check in?

Submitted by John on

If you have the us citizenship and immigration services of a european country, you are also automatically a citizen of the European Union. Therefore You have a right of residence for three months. As EU citizens , you may , for example, stay for three months in Germany. All you need is a valid identity card or passport.

Submitted by Amy Foster on

My driver's license expired two weeks ago. I renewed it and am waiting for the hard copy to come in the mail. I have the expired license and my new "temporary license" (a printed confirmation that I renewed it). Will this combination work as picture ID when I fly domestically next week if my replacement license has not arrived?

Submitted by Unknown on

Noo tsa says that but good thing I work at the airport I will just go in where the employees go in...

Submitted by Anonymous on

My license will expire by the time my return trip starts, will TSA allow me to board the flight?

Submitted by FP on

Can I complete my return trip on an expired drivers license?

Submitted by Anonymous on

Can you fly using a temporary I'd?

Submitted by Martin on

Hi John, thats not correct. You are not automatically a citizen of the European Union simply by having the US citizenship. Amercian citizens can still stay for 90 Days in the European Union without a visa, but they will need their US identity card or passport. This stay can then be extended by 90 days so that it is a total of 180 days here. However, they are not allowed to work at this time! Hope i could help. Best regards, Martin from

Submitted by SB on

My child’s ID expired while away at college out of state. Can he still use the expired ID to get home? We will renew his ID when he returns to our home state.

Submitted by West Cooper on

We have a process that your child can use to transit the checkpoints with an expired ID. This process does take more time than showing up with a valid ID, so please make certain that your child allows more time for the process.

TSA Blog Team

Submitted by Constance Cannon on

This happened to me today. The most aggressions act of disrespect and humiliation I’ve ever encountered. If I’m cleared via Precheck then why wouldn’t you accept a temp ID??!! My states supplies this, I have no control over it. So basically I’d you change your address your can’t fly!! Ridiculous dumb policies that make NO SENSE AND INCONVENIECE PAYING CUSTOMERS!! Get it together TSA!

Submitted by Anonymous on

I've waited for my permanent WA driver license for over a month now Nd I have renewed it once since I initially had applied. As of right now I only have my temp and my CO stare id plus a social security card and some mail with myh name on it. I fly out to CO saturday and I have been paranoid about not being able to get through security. Will this be enough?! I will comply with all screening and searches needed.

Submitted by Trenda Hernandez on

Have a brother just getting out of prison can you fly with a prison id

Submitted by K Forster on

Our son is being released from a Washington State prison. We have his expired WA state photo ID drivers license (expired 2017) and his expired passport (2012). Will those two IDs be sufficient for domestic air travel? He is being released to parole in Tennessee, where we live. We really would like for him to be able to fly instead of us having to drive him back to TN.

Submitted by Manfred on

What ID do my 15 and 11 year old grandchildren need to travel with us?

Submitted by West Cooper on

Manfred sez - "What ID do my 15 and 11 year old grandchildren need to travel with us?"

Manfred, if you are traveling domestically, there are no ID requirements for them.

Traveling Internationally, you can look up the requirements from the DHS travel overseas page.

TSA Blog Team

Submitted by West Cooper on

K Forster sez - " We have his expired WA state photo ID drivers license (expired 2017) and his expired passport (2012). Will those two IDs be sufficient for domestic air travel? He is being released to parole in Tennessee, where we live. We really would like for him to be able to fly instead of us having to drive him back to TN."

First, congrats to him!

Second, the Expired License may help him out, if it is less than a year out of date, there is a process where they can work with him to get through. Even if the license is over 1 year out of date, we have a different process in place that will allow us to help your son get through screening. Hopefully this will help!

TSA Blog Team

Submitted by Anonymous on

I recently applies to get nh licemsr amd only have a paper copy will that be ok to travel?

Submitted by Anonymous on

I recently got a nh license but only have a paper copy will that be okay to fly with??
Thank you for your help.

Submitted by 4th Amendment on

Amen brother.

Submitted by Anonymous on

My wife flew out of Ontario, CA. and a female TSA agent ( didn’t catch her name) obviously does not know her own job. She claimed that my wife’s military dependant identification is not an approved TSA identification. However, after researching the list of approved identifications, it is clearly listed. This individual is obviously in need of remedial training to ensure she is not making up rules as she see fits. I’m really hoping this is brought up to Ontario, California’s TSA personnel to ensure this doesn’t happen again. Thanks in advance.

Submitted by Anonymous on

I’m 19 years old, I’m going to Seattle in 6 days and my id expired. I do have a passport. Can I bring my dmv driver’s permit and my expired id?

Submitted by Ray on

My DL expired on my birthday 4 days ago.. i fly out in the morning ... can I still fly with my DL and my renewal slip?

Submitted by Sue on

My driver’s license has expired, but I have the temporary copy issued by the DMV. Is this considered adequate proof of ID?

Submitted by West Cooper on

Ray sez - "My DL expired on my birthday 4 days ago.. i fly out in the morning ... can I still fly with my DL and my renewal slip?"

Hiya Ray, sorry I am late getting back to you, I have been out of town for a couple of weeks! Paper renewal slips are not considered a valid form of ID, but we have a process to get you through even if you do not have a valid form of ID. I would ask you to show up earlier than normal, because there is some additional screening steps involved.

Sue sez - "My driver’s license has expired, but I have the temporary copy issued by the DMV. Is this considered adequate proof of ID?"

Expired ID can be used in some instances, but the temporary copies issued by DMV are not considered acceptable ID. As mentioned above, we do have a process that we can use to get you through even if you have no ID, we just ask that you come in earlier than usual and understand that there will be some additional screening involved.

TSA Blog Team

Submitted by Amr on

Can I use an expired US Passport as a secondary form of identification with my state driver's license?

Submitted by BL on

I just renewed my license and they cut the top part of my old one and gave me a temporary paper one with my picture on it. I have a flight on Monday to California. What do I need to bring to the airport so I can get on the plane?

Submitted by HELEN on

My 86 year old mom is traveling to Atlanta (from LA) in 2 weeks but I don't know if her Senior ID will arrive in time. She renewed it 5 days ago and was told it will take 2-3 weeks. Coincidentally, she sent away for her passport to get renewed as well, so how does she get on the plane? I hear that you can answer some questions to identify her but does she need to bring any other documents?

Submitted by Anonymous on

The TSA doesn't restrict a persons freedom to travel. It controls access to a federally restricted area. Your airplane just happens to be with in that federally restricted area. If you want to fly you have to "Fly" by their rules.