We’ve been seeing claims suggesting that TSA is intentionally slowing down lines around the nation in order to profit from increased TSA Pre✓® enrollments.
Let us set the record straight. The $85 application fee (valid for five years) covers the administrative cost of the program, including FBI background checks, application analysis, associated technology and enrollment center costs.
In fact, we're doing everything we can to ease wait times while maintaining the most effective security to protect air travelers:
- One option for getting through the screening process faster is for travelers to enroll in TSA Pre✓®. In the month of March (2016), 95% of those enrolled in TSA Pre✓® waited five minutes or less.
- Hiring more Transportation Security Officers.
- Increasing overtime funding to help keep more security lanes open during the busiest hours.
- Deploying additional K-9 teams to screen passengers at security checkpoints, which means a faster and easier screening process.
- Working closely with airlines and airports to develop specific plans to manage queues and support screening operations at the nation’s busiest airports.
- In partnership with the airlines, working to reduce the size and number of carry-on luggage.
We appreciate your patience at our checkpoints. Airports are busier than ever and this could impact your travel from curb to gate. We recommend arriving up to two hours ahead of departure. Your security is our top priority.
TSA Social Media Team