Your DoD ID Can Shorten Your Wait at the Airport

Wednesday, June 01, 2016
Military person uses TSA Precheck image

Cross-posted from DHS.GOV

Taking leave this summer? Even when traveling for personal time, military and DoD civilian members qualify for TSA Pre✓® –without any extra effort.

Lately, longer than usual lines at the airport have been in the news as the nation prepares for the busiest summer travel season on record. To reduce the amount of time waiting in lines, while making sure passengers are safe, TSA is encouraging eligible travelers to sign up for TSA Pre✓®. All members of the U.S. Armed Forces, including cadets and midshipmen at the U.S. service academies, and those serving in the Reserves and National Guard, can receive TSA Pre✓® benefits just by using their Department of Defense identification number.

Your DOD identification number works as your known traveler number, or KTN, for all of your travel, both personal and official. Enter the 10 digit number, located on the back of your common access card (CAC), into the KTN field when you make flight reservations to receive TSA Pre✓® benefits. You should update your Defense Travel System profile with KTN as well for official travel. If the number is not on your CAC, you can get the number on milConnect.

DoD civilians are also eligible to receive TSA Pre✓® benefits. They can opt-in through their profile page on the milConnect site. Once they opt-in, DoD civilians can then input their KTN in their travel bookings to receive TSA Pre✓® benefits.

When you make a reservation and include your KTN, a TSA Pre✓® indicator will appear on your boarding pass, letting you know that you can go to the TSA Pre✓® screening line. You cannot go straight to the TSA Pre✓® line with your CAC; you must enter the number when you book your travel.

Airline Ticket with KTN sample

Additionally, you do not have to be in uniform to go through TSA Pre✓® using your DOD identification number.

That means you can leave your shoes, belt, and light jacket on through the screening process, and leave your laptop and liquids in your bag. It helps you get through the line more efficiently, so your screening process is more predictable and less stressful.

For more information, check out TSA.gov.

Military people are working on Airport gate

Cross-posted from DHS.GOV

Comments

Submitted by Tash on

How does paying $80 to have background checks run on you and fingerprinting done translate into wealthy or elite?

Submitted by DarkMage on

One question above that was maybe missed by West, which I cannot find an answer to anywhere: I'm a DoD Civilian, and my wife has a base access card with a barcode that (I think) decodes into a EDI-PI. Can She use the program, too? Does it apply to DoD Civilians and their spouses?

Submitted by Linda on

Yes my husband is active duty and I use my DoD number on the airline when making my reservations and we go through TSA Pre Check as a family =)

Submitted by Christopher Pepin on

Let's review. I used my dod ID card for pre check while I was active duty. I retired and became a contractor. My retired ID and. Contractor ID have the same dod ID number that used to work. I have an active security clearance required for my job and I work in a high security area on base.
Now my dod ID number doesn't work because I retired? I need to pay for a background check? My clearance was renewed last year.
Can we get this fixed?

Submitted by Pete Vatistas on

Please explain why we can't offer free (or reduced price) for retired military? I'm baffled.

Submitted by Commonsensical1972 on

For my fellow military retirees that feel we’ve been slighted for an entitlement, come on. Enough already.

I served honorably for 20 years. I didn’t do it for the privilege of pre-check. My country thanks me on the first of every month, every time I go to the doctor and pay only a few dollars, every time I get a discount at a store or the movies. I will send one of my kids to college almost for free. The country has been plenty thankful.

My retiree ID isn’t really tracked. If I lose it, I could theoretically go years without reporting it. I will keep it for decades, long after I don’t look like the guy on the front. It’s not a closely tracked system like CAC cards. It’s not the same.

Let this one go.

GOES does include TSA precheck. I have Global Entry and the KITN identifier given for GOES is the same for both.

FYI FOR ALL MILITARY MEMBERS, ACTIVE AND RESERVE!

Your DoD ID number does NOT automatically put you in the known traveler program. You have to go to the TSA office and submit a request for it. Being a DoD member, you should be accepted immediately. But until you do this, you will not be able to go through TSA-precheck.

Hope this helps confused military travelers!

Submitted by N/a on

Yes it does

Submitted by Marty on

I got my concealed carry permit in Alabama in less than five minutes. Although I trust myself, I’m not sure that process is thorough enough to qualify the people who use it for things like air travel.

Submitted by Bob Denby on

Because TSA is a joke

I don't think you understand how rigorous a background check USAF or DoD Civilians go through. It's not the same as a firearm background check by any means.

Submitted by Carolyn on

Question:
I bought a round trip ticket to DC recently and did add my new KTN number, (first time I have used it), when I purchased the ticket.
I got TSA PRE going to DC but did not on the return flight???
How did that happen?

Submitted by Precheck on

If you have GOES, you get Precheck too.

Submitted by Pedro on

great

Submitted by Kennedy on

Yes. I'm a dependent, and I get precheck with my id.

Submitted by Maria on

I would seriously hope NOT there are more criminals with dependent ID than you would think spouses and children alike.... and have to have an ID because they are a dependent..they ruin it for the rest!

Submitted by Dave on

You no longer have a security clearance. After 20 years of service and multiple security clearances obtained, youd of thought that would have been an obvious reason.

not all states finger print CCW permit holders.

CCW permits are issued by individual states. Pre-check is a Federal program, the lines do not cross. It's as simple as that.