TSA on the Job: Cargo Transportation Security Inspector

Monday, September 19, 2016
TSA Inspector approaching cargo plane.

As a Cargo Transportation Security Inspector for TSA, I’m often the face of the agency for our airline partners. At JFK, we have more than 1,000 take offs and landings each day and many of those aircraft are cargo planes. Cargo is where I do the bulk of my work.

I routinely conduct comprehensive inspections, assessments and investigations of airlines to determine how well they comply with the many regulations in place that ensure cargo is stored and transported in the most secure manner possible.

TSA Inspector on the job observing.

Prior to becoming an inspector, I was a transportation security officer in the airport as well as a behavior detection officer, so I have a unique perspective of the total effort to keep the traveling public safe. Having that additional insight actually makes me more efficient in my inspection duties.

I can't stress how important this job is to me. My father died in the World Trade Center bombings in 1993. I take those memories with me to work every day. I work daily along with my fellow TSA inspectors and officers to make sure attacks like that never happen again.

Yvette Mercado-Rehm
Transportation Security Inspector - JFK

Comments

Submitted by Unknown on

The job of a cargo inspector is not to ensure the cargo is stored and transported in the most secure manner possible. I watched the video twice and the TSI doesn't say that's part of her job. please make sure you do your job at identifying the duties of a cargo inspector which are not what you described in the narrative, before you post this.

Submitted by Gary Rhoads on

Enjoy these little blogs. It's easy to understand the reason(s)/desire that both Yvette Mercado-Rehm and William Hall each have in doing their respective jobs as effectively as possible. The traveling public should appreciate these and other individuals working to make the traveling public safe.

Transportation Security Inspectors.

Are TSI's the same TSA group who damaged 9 commuter airplanes in Chicago a few years back?

TSA employees who are apparently not qualified to be around airplanes without an escort, who know nothing of the probes or other sensitive instrumentation on airplanes, and use expensive airplanes as jungle gyms. Are we talking about those people when the term "Transportation Security Inspector" is mentioned?

Question TSA, when did TSA start doing 100% inspections of cargo that is loaded on to passenger airpplanes? Don't count "Trusted Shippers" since that is not TSA inspected cargo.

Submitted by Laura Monteros on

Nice story. Thanks.

Submitted by Doober on

Aren't these the same people who damaged aircraft several years ago at O'Hare?

Submitted by Mssmilie on

May your job be its own reward...........

"We recognize that the Web is a 24/7 medium, and your comments are welcome at any time. However, given the need to manage federal resources, moderating and posting of comments will occur during regular business hours Monday through Friday. Comments submitted after hours or on weekends will be read and posted as early as possible; in most cases, this means the next business day."

When will the TSA Blog Team start posting comments the next business day (in most cases) as stated in the TSA Comment Policy?

Currently comments are posted sporadically at best.

TSA Blog Team, was the question asking when TSA started screening all cargo loaded on passenger planes just hard for TSA?

Congress mandated that TSA screen all cargo loaded on passenger planes so surely TSA knows when the agency actually complied with that mandate.

What are the duties of a cargo inspector, what would be expected?