TSA on the Job: VIPR team

Monday, November 28, 2016
TSA VIPR Program

As a member of the TSA Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response team, I work in collaboration with federal, state and local transportation stakeholders to prevent and deter acts of terrorism against U.S. transportation systems. My duties take TSA beyond the airport checkpoint through a strong network of security professionals.

Roy Wright TSA VIPR ProgramI along with other VIPR team members, deploy daily with law enforcement and security partners in all modes of transportation including: commercial aviation, air cargo, general aviation, mass transit, maritime, freight rail, highway infrastructure and pipeline. We also deploy during special events, such as the Super Bowl, NCAA Football Championship, and Presidential Inauguration to enhance security in the transportation domain.

Through vigilance, observance of suspicious behavior and surveillance, we work to protect airports, public conveyance/vessels and other critical infrastructure.

This past Saturday for example, six unattended bags were observed while patrolling Washington Dulles International Airport. All passengers were reunited with their bags, which were cleared by law enforcement K-9 teams. This is one of my many daily duties that help prevent dangerous items or bags from causing harm.

I take pride in being responsible for ensuring that airport employees and passengers feel safe. My overall mission is to ensure the traveling public reaches their destination safely, especially during this holiday travel season.

As a VIPR team member, working holidays and weekends is well worth it to put the traveling public mind at ease.

Roy Wright
TSA VIPR
Washington Field Office (Chantilly, VA)

Comments

Submitted by Laura Monteros on

Thanks!

Submitted by Bateswriter on

Thanks for the doing great job that you do. Many years ago while waiting for a boarding announcement at Heathrow, my husband I found a table at which to eat a quick bite, and thinking it was within sight of the walk-up cafe, left a small black bag containing a concrete garden ornament by the table. Within seconds, armed airport security officers approached to ask us to open the bag. Once the officers saw the contents, they politely suggested we should have checked the bag and then warned us about leaving bags unattended. This event occurred many years before 9/11, but we learned our lesson. Thank you for your vigilance and for protecting all individuals who use our airports.

Submitted by Nathen Knowles on

I work in the chemical sector at a marine terminal handling two of the CDC (certain dangerous cargo - basically some pretty bad stuff)defined in title 46 CFR I (d)(o)and 49 CFR 172 so my duties pertaining to security are regulated by 49 CFR 15 & 1520 and 33 CFR 105, 127, 154 and others. I'm an FSO/AFSO in operations at a Tier 1 MARSEC facility basically and we interact with local JTTF & LEO and USCG on an almost daily basis. However, I've never had any interaction with a TSA VIPR team (to my knowledge)as part of critical infrastructure protection and was wondering; are VIPR teams only deployed under certain circumstances? Like a specific threat or something similar? If so, do they normally accompany USCG or DHS Field Ops and CBP officers or separately ? Or both? Just curious, because I find this part of TSA very interesting and although I have heard of VIPR teams and their functions I've never seen or dealt with them on the job. Thanks, and have a great day. And stay safe especially during the holiday season.

What evidence is available that shows TSA VIPR teams have led to higher transportation security?

Seems like a clear waste of tax dollars.

Submitted by Chip And Andy on

And this is why we laugh at those who say "if you don't like the TSA then don't fly."

Submitted by Wintermute on

This comment has been removed by the author.

Submitted by Mike Toreno on

RB, he says he takes pride in being [b]responsible[/b] for ensuring that airport employees and passengers [b]feel safe[/b]. He doesn't say that feeling safe means the same thing as being safe, and he doesn't say he fulfills even the responsibility for making sure that passengers feel safe. How could he, because people know that an actual attacker would either get on the subway or bus or train at the next stop, or just sneak stuff past the TSA. He does say that his overall mission is to ensure the traveling public reaches their destination safely, especially during this holiday travel season. That isn't hard to do, of course, because there isn't actually any threat. But here too, he doesn't say that he accomplishes his mission, or that anything to do with the VIPR program actually contributes to making anything or anybody safer.

Submitted by Inefficient TSA on

most inept and inefficient TSA checkpoint EVER?? DFW terminal E gates 35-37.... bar none.... oh and I'm a 2 million miler + so I've seen a few!

Submitted by Unknown on

Im interested in joining this team!!!

Submitted by Jasmine Hope on

How can I join this team?

Submitted by Nick on

How can I join the VIPR team?