Did You Know? 20 Factoid Nuggets You Might Not Know About TSA
Why struggle for conversation at your next social gathering when you can impress your friends by dropping some knowledge about TSA. You’ll be the life of the party for sure. A legend even…
1) TSA is responsible for security of more than 20,000 domestic flights and 2,000 outbound international flights daily.
2) TSA screens 1.3 million checked and 4.9 million carry-on items for explosives and other prohibited items daily.
3) TSA screens 100% of cargo transported on passenger aircraft.
4) TSA officers discovered a record 3,391 firearms in carry-on bags around the nation in 2016.
5) TSA officers discovered a record 96 firearms in one week in carry-on bags around the nation? 85 were loaded.
6) In 2016, TSA officers screened 738,318,264 passengers (more than 2 million per day).
7) July 2017 was the highest passenger volume month on record? 72,117,046 passengers and crew were screened by TSA officers.
8) Newly hired TSA officers are trained at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) in Glynco, Georgia.
9) Air travelers are subject to a robust systems that employs multiple layers of security, both seen and unseen.
10) Liquid explosives still pose a threat to aviation security and small containers lessen the risk.
11) Twenty percent of TSA employees are either veterans or are currently serving in the military.
13) TSA has nearly 400 explosives specialists that provide expertise in aviation and multimodal environment.
14) There are 900+ TSA canine teams nationwide tasked w/ screening passengers and cargo & supporting other security missions.
15) An average of 250 explosives detection canines complete training each year.
16) TSA uses German Shepherds, Labrador & Golden Retrievers, German Short-haired & Wirehaired Pointers,Vizslas & Belgian Malinois as explosives detection canines.
17) Canine teams work at more than 100 of the nation’s airports, mass-transit and maritime systems.
18) TSA established visible intermodal prevention and response teams to enhance security of rail and mass transit in wake of 2004 Madrid train bombings.
19) TSA works with other government agencies at the Transportation Security Operation Center (TSOC) including DHS, FAA & FBI to monitor incidents across all modes of transportation in U.S.
20) TSA is enhancing screening of personal electronic devices larger than a cell.
21) TSA officers discovered some strange items last year.
Bob Burns - TSA Social Media