Is it Time to Renew Your TSA Pre✓® Membership?

Thursday, October 04, 2018
TSA Precheck Logo

Attention TSA Pre✓® members! Have you been enjoying expedited security screening since 2013? Don’t wait! ACT NOW before your known traveler number (KTN) expires. That’s right, your TSA Pre✓® eligibility expires after five years. So if you want to keep enjoying your member benefits, renew now before your membership lapses. The renewal fee is $85. That’s only $17 a year!  RENEW NOW!

More than 45,000 KTNs will expire between December 2018 and February 2019, with more KTNs expiring every month throughout 2019.

But you don’t have to wait! TSA Pre✓® membership may be renewed up to six months before the expiration date of your KTN, and you will retain your current KTN as long as you renew up to one year after expiration.

For most members, renewal is easy and may be completed online. However, some members will have to renew in person to provide updated data or new fingerprints. You’ll receive an automated on-screen notification when filling out the application online if you need to renew in person.

What’s that? You don’t have TSA Pre✓® and you’re wondering if it’s for you? Thanks to TSA Pre✓®, in September 2018, 94% of TSA Pre✓® passengers waited less than five minutes in the security line. More than 200 airports and 54 airlines provide TSA Pre✓® to the over 7 million travelers who have enrolled in the program.

In addition to shorter wait times, here are the advantages:

TSA Precheck Perks

APPLY NOW!

Bob Burns - TSA Social Media

Comments

Submitted by Lenita on

When did this become an item requiring a fee?

Submitted by Adrienne Fly on

If I have Global Entry, do I need to renew my TSA Pre-Check?

Submitted by April E on

Does this apply to TSA employees enrolled in Precheck?

Submitted by SSSS For Some Reason on

So you have to inspect everyone because terrorists.

But you don't have to inspect some people because they're paid members in a club.

First, what is preventing terrorists from joining your paid members?

Second, if the reduced level of screening is adequate to keep the skies safe then why isn't the reduced level of screening the normal level of screening for everyone?

Or let me put the question to you in a different order of reasoning..... You charge citizens to join a club to get reduced screening levels. If you don't pay you are obviously a terrorist and need to be subject to enhanced interegati.... sorry... screening measures. How is this any different than the Poll-Taxes that were used a century ago to keep certain peoples from voting? Free Travel among these many states is a citizens right yet you are asking citizens to pay to exercise that right. And you say what you do is constitutional?

Submitted by Verna Vaughn on

Why is this not the standard level of screening for ALL passengers, rather than a perk reserved for the wealthy, elite, or lucky?

Hello I am Canadian and have a NEXUS card.
Do I need to renew my TSA pre membership to keep my NEXUS?
Thank you.

Submitted by Jack on

Previous comments reveal that not everyone has read the details regarding membership ---- a CLUB? Seriously? It's patently obvious that you will be screened IF you apply. This is a great privilege for older travellers!

I have a TWIC card which is required for my profession. The card requires a fee and a backround check. Why can't I use that. Why would you charge twice for the same service? At least a discount rate if you TWIC card.

Submitted by Vikki on

When I applied the first time, there was no fee, but I don't remember getting a number. How do I find out what my number is and when it expires?

Submitted by SSSS For Some Reason on

"...a CLUB? Seriously? "

Club. Noun. "an association of persons participating in a plan by which they agree to make regular payments or purchases in order to secure some advantage "

That is a pretty succinct explanation of the PreCheck system.

And still doesn't explain why some people can be screened less while others have to be screened more simply because one group paid to be screened less. If the lesser screening is sufficient for the paid members of the club why is it not the standard level of screening for everyone? Security is security and simply charging people more to be hassled less by security does nothing to improve the actual security that is supposed to be the mission of the organization.

Submitted by Frank B on

Is it true that PA residents will have to use their Passport as of this week or next or has that been extended?

Submitted by Traveling Public on

SSSS For Some Reason is obviously a Russian etc. provocateur, smart as a whip but bent on destruction of security of airline passengers.

Submitted by Max Yost on

Verna,

PreCheck, or ExtortionCheck as it should be called, is a program designed to create a special class of flyers who have a privilege that only the TSA can grant and can take away at any time for any reason (or no reason). The primary goal of the TSA was to silence criticism from the most influential group of frequent flyers under the threat of taking away this privilege if they criticize the TSA. A secondary goal was to create class warfare -- a privileged class of flyers who could look down upon the masses who have to endure the full wrath of the government. The TSA appealed to their sense of entitlement granting them privileges such as keeping their shoes on and their Freedom Bags inside their carryons.

ExtortionCheck flyers never have medications confiscated, never have their breast milk confiscated and never are groped to the point of what is legally a sexual assault. Even if this happens to them, we never hear about it because they would have their privilege rescinded if they complained publicly or even privately.

This is exactly like the system of privileges that was highly effective in the Soviet Union and other Communist countries for exactly the same reasons that ExtortionCheck has been successful: silencing criticism and creating a privileged class.

Submitted by Scott on

Jack has this right. It is a background check. You are then allowed to keep your shoes and belt on. Anyone can apply, not all will be accepted.

Submitted by Scott on

The airlines used to sponsor a few of their flyers every time. But I believe now there are enough “official” background screened flyers that the airlines are very restricted on what they can do for their customers.

Submitted by SSSS For Some Reason on

Submitted by Traveling Public on Mon, 2018-10-08 18:29

~~~~~~~

In reverse order...

You can, of course, quote where I said there should be no security.

And then you can explain why your comment is in direct violation of the commenting rules but still got approved. It's like you guys don't even try to hide the fact that employee posts get approved no matter what.

Submitted by Richard on

Greetings,

Submitted by Martha on

I would like to know the answer to the above question.

Submitted by Fly Boy on

Is this for TSA employees or the public ?

Obviously you have not read or researched what the "club" is, (as you put it). You are not purchasing a "club" membership- you are paying for a detailed background check with fingerprints. This verifies your identity and history (to include arrest records, current and previous residence, and employment. And paying the fee does not guarantee that you qualify- but the fee is forfeited if you fail the background check since you are paying for the service. If you are Active duty military or a DOD employee you qualify for TSA Precheck since you have already passed the same screening.

Submitted by West Cooper on

Richard sez - "I just received an email advising me to renew my pre-approved access card. I checked the expiration. The date of expiration is May 2021. Am I required to renew at this time? TY, Richard"

Martha sez - "I would like to know the answer to the above question."

I am uncertain how far out you need to renew your membership Richard. I would log into the Known Traveler site and see if it has something that indicates when you may need to get it completed to prevent a lapse in program use. If it does not have a specific clarification or "due by" date, then you can contact the program operation directly through the site - they will be able to give you better information than we can here.

Submitted by Cynthia on

This exclusive club membership includes fingerprinting and a background check. No sponsor though!

Submitted by Cynthia on

Submitted by Teresa on

I have elite status with Delta and the company has noted that I am a frequent flyer and provide precheck status more often than not. I also have CLEAR. How will enrolling in precheck directly work for me? Will that ensure that I have precheck every flight?

Submitted by SSSS For Some Reason on

"..Submitted by Anonymous on Sat, 2018-10-13 04:04
Obviously you have not read or researched what the "club" is, (as you put it). You are not purchasing a "club" membership- you are paying for a detailed background check with fingerprints. This verifies your identity"

First, paying to join a group that receives different benefits than a person who hasn't paid to join the group is the exact definition of "club."

Second, if the mission of the TSA is to prevent WEI from boarding aircraft why would identity matter? Hasn't it been said, more than once, that the terrorists are sneaky and willing to use the elderly and the very young to smuggle WEI onto aircraft? So why can't the terriorist do so by using someone who is a member of this club?

And third, if this reduced level of security is sufficient to complete the mission of the TSA then the reduced level of security should be sufficient for ALL travelers. If not, why not?

Submitted by MAGA on

When you pay for PreCheck, you have an extensive background check performed, and then you are still screened, just at a lower risk. Also, every once in a while, the PreCheck people are bounced into the regular screening lanes to keep them "honest". Nothing is keeping anyone from flying. If you don't want to pay for the background check, you still fly. If you look at the 14th amendment, yes, the inspection and screening of passengers and their belongings is legal, and has been upheld by the court of law. Look it up, and know your subject before the trolling...

Submitted by Fact Checker on

The wealthy? $85 every five years for a background check = $17/year. Elite? Passengers aren't selected; they choose to apply for PreCheck. Lucky? You just have to have a clean record and not be associated with terrorists or criminal behavior.

Submitted by Fact Checker on

Since the beginning. You have to pay for and pass a background check to receive PreCheck privileges.

Submitted by Roger Norum on

DITTO.
MY CARD DOESN'T EXPIRE UNTIL 2020 BUT I GOT A NOTICE TO RENEW NOW AND THE RENEWAL INFORMATION SAYS YOU CAN'T RENEW UNTIL IT'S AT LEAST SIX MONTHS FROM EXPIRATION.
WHAT'S GOING ON? DO I HAVE TO RENEW NOW OR WAIT UNTIL 5 MONTHS 30 DAYS BEFORE IT EXPIRES.
VERY CONFUSING.

Submitted by The Original "RB" on

Submitted by MAGA on Mon, 2018-10-15 10:16

.......................

"PreCheck people are bounced into the regular screening lanes to keep them "honest"."

So you're saying people who have passed an extensive background check might not be honest?

The same could be said for TSA employees and all other airport workers who access the secure side of the airport but how often are these people screened at all? The reason for not screening these workers are because they have passed a background check.

Sound like TSA has violated the public's trust to not require regular screening of all airport workers, to at least at Pre Check standards.

Submitted by SSSS For Some Reason on

"...If you look at the 14th amendment, yes, the inspection and screening of passengers and their belongings is legal,"

Are you reading the same 14th Amendment as the rest of us? Because the 14th has nothing to with TSA and a strict reading would make PreCheck unconstitutional by violating the Equal Protection language:

"... No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Paying to join a club so you xan have less scrutiny while flying is the exact opposite of what the 14th Amendment is about.

Submitted by Cjw on

To be able to use TSA Pre check one has to go through a background check, and finger printed. This is an excellent service for the disabled and senior citizens. You still have to take off jackets and not have any metal contains accessories. I set off the x-ray alarm due to knee replacements and metal plate in upper arm. You don’t just slip through. Alarm rules still apply. I still get hand wand. But it is worth it to not have to unpack my electronic medical equipment and laptop and other devices. Scoff all you want but this a greatly appreciated service.

Submitted by Kathleen S Mulligan on

I paid $85.00 onl11/17/2015 for Tsa pre check. I am traveling today & the my boarding pass does not show pre check. This has happened twice this year. Please fix it

Submitted by John on

The answer to this appears to be YES. from the TSA FAQ: "If you join Global Entry, NEXUS, or SENTRI, use your membership number as a “known traveler number” in airline reservations to receive TSA Pre✓®."

Submitted by Ronald Stanley on

What do you do if you misplace your KTN.

Submitted by Duda on

Submitted by West Cooper on

Duda sez - "I am paid up to 4/13/2021 but have not been getting precheck the last few times I have flown- including my trip tomorrow. Can you tell me why or a number or email address to correct the problem?"

A couple of simple fixes may be able to correct this for you - first, doublecheck that all of your information in your Known Traveler segments of the reservation/airline systems that you typically use. Sometimes (even after you have been receiving precheck) it can be as simple as an update or change in systems, and numbers get transposed. Doublecheck that it is entered into all of the airline accounts that you have, sometimes it is right with one airline, but wrong with another. If those fail to correct the problem, you can visit TSA Precheck here in order to begin to work forward on a resolution.

Please keep in mind that this is not a 100% of the time program. TSA uses unpredictable security measures, both seen and unseen, throughout the airport. All travelers will be screened, and no individual is guaranteed expedited screening.

Submitted by NSSC on

SSSS You are right in every thing you say. Know what You should do though. Don't sign up for Pre Check. That will everyone a lesson. I will be there right behind you.

Submitted by Sm on

My husband and I had TSA Pre (never applied) until 8/2018. Then when we got plane tickets in 9/2018, our TSA Pre disappeared. Why we got it over 2 years ago, we don't know why(and never questioned). But why it disappeared is a mystery to us. Did that happen to any one else?

Very mad we paid money went through the screening and even interview to get global entry and just took almost 1 he to get through security check point at ewr garbage very rude employees not one friendly one in the whole bunch. Our boarding pass was stamped pre check. But apparently your to cheap to spend some of the huge money you get from selling passes on more help for security sad way to treat people. Me and my wife are gropped might as well have been strip searched. You need to fire the whole crew. If the pass is stamped precheck people should go through quickly and not be stripped duh. If that's the way you run things maybe we need to get some higher ups in Washington involved duh

Submitted by Kelly Butler on

It has ALWAYS cost money to have TSA precheck. Where have you been?

Submitted by Elaine Bagley on

When did they start charging once you were cleared by security check .

I agree don't sign up for pre-check, but then stand in line like the rest of the schmucks in the airport. When did traveling become so friggin complicated?!

Submitted by Fred Fader on

Voting (at least for now) is a Right while air travel is a privilege. TSA has to do background checks before it will give you TSA Pre-Check. This requires manpower and manpower costs money.
If you want to pay for a real scam join Clear. You use the same machines as TSA but you get to pay even MORE money so a nice person in a Clear uniform will cut in front of the TSA Pre-Check line.

What? Wealthy? Flying a lot is so much more money then this fee? They just want you to pay a special tax for a background check. You can also pay for a password faster. At least half the time the precheck line is not faster.

Almost immediately, airlines put some people up for free years ago.

Submitted by Tiffany on

I agree, Jack! To be issued a Known Traveler Number (KTN) your background is thoroughly investigated and your are fingerprinted.

For those that are unsure of the process and associated background check that an applicant goes through to be issued a KTN...might I suggest you visit your local TSA office for additional information.

P.S. TSA Precheck is a GodSend for those of us that are business travelers that flies 2-3 times per week.

Submitted by Venkatesh Rao on

I have my TSA Pre check which i want to renew but i also want to enroll for Global entry. Will my TSA Precheck number be the same.
Will my existing pre-check be invalidated once i apply for Global entry.

Thanks