The Passing of TSA's Curtis “Blogger Bob” Burns

Saturday, October 20, 2018
Blogger Bob

TSA mourns the loss of Curtis Robert Burns, or as most of you know him, Blogger Bob, who passed away yesterday. His death is a shock and the enormity of his loss can only be imagined at this time. He loved this agency. He loved the people who work here. And he loved the American people we serve.

But most importantly, he loved his family. And it was that love, and he talked about it regularly, that helped him choose his words on this blog, on Instagram, and on the other social media platforms he effortlessly turned to his will. He said on more than one occasion that all he ever needed to do was use dad humor. His dad humor, of course, was special, and resonated with hundreds of thousands of followers. It was beautiful, and it worked. He helped to humanize the men and women of TSA doing a very difficult job at airport checkpoints across the country—at all hours. He started as a Transportation Security Officer, and understood them better than most at the headquarters level. He was their voice. His humor was cathartic. His Top 10 items of ridiculous items found at the checkpoint reminded everyone that commonsense isn’t evenly distributed. And what screening officers did isn’t security theater. And if it were, the cast of characters were often those being screened and not doing the screening, as some suggest. His gift to us all was laughter, and he reminded us that as serious as the mission is, you can still find humor in the daily duties. It can be an arduous undertaking.

I ask that you mourn with us. Remember the important security and life lessons he taught us. And Bob would insist that we laugh and remember back on the many whimsical posts he published in the decade he labored lovingly as Blogger Bob. Safe travels, Bob. We love you!

Michael Bilello
Assistant Administrator, Public Affairs

Comments

Submitted by SSSS For Some Reason on

I sincerely hope his family doesn't have to pass through any tsa checkpoints in order to attend his funeral.

And i sincerely hope none of them have to put up with tsa disrespecting his remains like has happened to other families.

Bye Blogger Bob.

Submitted by Nocaps on

rip mr. burns. maybe people will rethink some of the personal attacks that you received over the years and realize that there is more to life than this blog.

Submitted by The "Original" RB on

So sad. My prayers to Bob's family.

Submitted by Susan In Nevada on

I'm so sorry to hear of his passing. I enjoyed his writing. All the wonderful things you said about him were evident in every word he wrote. It is a blessing that he left behind such a wonderful legacy of happy and insightful stories about the TSA.

Submitted by Max Yost on

I have been on the supervisory end of the death of a federal employee. HR really needs to step up to provide 1-1 help to the surviving spouse for benefits, insurance payments, and other things. Regretfully, after having witnessed the quality of TSA employees, I suspect this will be extremely lacking. If his family members choose to travel by commercial aviation for his funeral, I am sure they will encounter TSA clerks at their worst and wonder if it was all worth it.

Submitted by Bold Blogger on

RIP Bob.

Submitted by Bold Blogger on

RIP Bob.

Submitted by Frequent Traveler on

I always enjoyed his sense of humor on Instagram. He's a great example to us all to not take ourselves too seriously. My thoughts are with his coworkers and family.

Submitted by Maggie on

I only met him once, recently, when he gave a talk at NASA. He was very nice and very funny, and I was impressed with the quality and humor of his work. My heart goes out to his family, friends, and co-workers.

Submitted by Knj on

There is a time and place for your comments, this is not one of them.

Submitted by Corey on

His sense of humor was felt through his postings. He turned what could easily have been mundane and boring topic into something that I looked forward to reading. His words translated his feelings about is job. RIP and God bless his family

Submitted by Strup797 on

Typically classless. His family knows that they shouldn't toss a freezer bag full of his remains into a gymbag filled with used socks.

Thank you for your post. Bob was an exceptional man loved by many.

Submitted by Sad, Sad, Sad on

It's pretty sad that you have to take the occasion of a persons death to try and get the last word in to a person who cannot answer back. One only has to read your many negative posts to know your "sincerely" preface does not disguise the true intent of your words.

Submitted by Rebecca D on

Thank you, Blogger Bob, for the laughs and insights.

Submitted by Fan Of Bob on

RIP, Bob. Your wit, humor, and ways of sharing information as related to TSA-approved, and unapproved, items was engaging. Although, you can never be replaced, I hope that TSA has someone in the wings who wants to carry on your legacy of informing the traveling public as you had. You put a human face on the men and women of TSA.

Submitted by Rod on

Classy

So sad to hear that we’ve lost another good guy!!!! I’ll miss you, Bob.

If I have a TWIC do I need TSA pre-approval?

Submitted by Fran Blasing on

You are unspeakably rude. Shame on you.

Submitted by SSSS For Some Reason on

"...Even in death, you choose to disrespect him and his family. I sincerely hope you have the day you deserve."

Is the TSA going to give you a free-pass because someone in your family died?

So why do you think it acceptable to give them a free-pass because someone in their family died?

Submitted by Nocaps on

Submitted by SSSS For Some Reason on Sat, 2018-10-20 20:43

Bye Blogger Bob.

this truly shows your true character. previously i thought that you had some interesting points in your posts, however now you will no longer have my notice.

Submitted by Mike Jossis on

Thank you Blogger Bob for a life well lived and for your legacy that has benefited so many. May you rest in peace.

Submitted by Reality Check A... on

Critiquing the organisation This man worked for us in no way disrespect to him, his life, or his family. Pull your head in and smell the roses - TSA is incompetent in their baggage inspections regularly damaging property (no zip lock bags and TSA approved locks are not illeagal) and treating passengers and their property with disrespect. We extensively travel globally and suffer less damage to property in the 3rd world than we do after a TSA inspection. People seem to forget you are representing your country and you don’t present well on the world stage. Condolences to Bob’s family our heart goes out to them in this painful time.

What do I need for a minor friend traveling out of the us with my family? She has her passport but I’m wondering if I need a letter or anything from her parents as well.

Submitted by Feta Brown on

Condolences to your loved ones near and far. Your posts on the TSA Instagram site, complete with 'Dad jokes' were engaging, informative and often thought provoking - whilst always having a wry smile at the end.

Rest in peace.

Submitted by Michael on

Why does my TSA pre-check sometimes not show on my electronic ticket?

Submitted by Tracy EWR on

So sorry to hear this...RIP

Submitted by Anon on

I think it might be time to shut down this blog. Let it go with the passing of Bob.
Obviously the only ones that still post on here are a few malcontents that post the same tired line over and over again.
Make it a one way only information site.

Submitted by The Original "RB" on

Submitted by Anon on Wed, 2018-10-31 15:42
Make it a one way only information site.
.....................................
It's already a "One Way Only Information Site", TSA refuses to answer readers questions truthfully and fully.

Submitted by The Original "RB" on

Submitted by Anon on Wed, 2018-10-31 15:42
Make it a one way only information site.
.....................................

Submitted by West Cooper on

Anon sez - "I think it might be time to shut down this blog."

I disagree. I think that as an organization, we should take this as an opportunity to create a more engaged social media footprint. We have really begun to move into other areas, offering real time help to passengers via scial media outlets. I hope that we as an organization can look at the roadmap that Bob wrote out for us and see the consistent benefits from it. I want our social media group to offer more an more options for passengers and the public at large, and our successes previously in this arena show us how to do it, we just have to find the willingness to step forward and do it.

Submitted by West Cooper on Thu, 2018-11-01 13:51
Anon sez - "I think it might be time to shut down this blog."

................
TSA's move to social media is a joke. Take @AskTSA as an example. Say something that TSA doesn't like and the account gets blocked from even viewing @AskTSA. Try to find out why a person is block is a futile effort because there is no one to ask. Based on recent court decisions even the fact that TSA is blocking twitter users is an illegal act but will TSA address that issue? NO is the answer.

TSA on the whole is just one big pile of dung!

Submitted by Hermann Fegelein on

Maybe instead you should break from tradition and forthrightly acknowledge failures and crimes of TSA clerks.

Submitted by The Original "RB" on

Submitted by Hermann Fegelein on Mon, 2018-11-05 17:46
..........................
That would require taking ownership of making errors and we all know that TSA was properly following SOP. TSA never admits to faults even when its screeners missed 95% of target items presented by Red Teams.