WASHINGTON - The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) continues accepting job applications for part-time security screener jobs with federal benefits at 64 airports.
"TSA has great part-time screener positions with federal benefits available," said Rear Adm. David M. Stone, Acting Administrator of TSA. "These part-time screeners will serve the community by keeping dangerous items off airplanes."
Airports accepting applications are:
- Pago Pago-American Samoa (PPG), Pago Pago, American Samoa
- Burbank-Glendale-Pasadena Airport (BUR), Burbank, Calif.
- Fresno Yosemite International Airport (FAT), Fresno, Calif.
- Inyo-Kern (Indian Wells Valley) Airport (IYK), Inyokern, Calif.
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), Los Angeles, Calif.
- Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC), San Jose, Calif.
- Ontario International Airport (ONT), Ontario, Calif.
- Palm Springs International Airport (PSP), Palm Springs, Calif.
- Sacramento International Airport (SMF), Sacramento, Calif.
- San Diego International Airport, Lindbergh (SAN), San Diego, Calif.
- Okaloosa County Air Terminal (VPS), Eglin AFB, Fla.
- Pensacola Regional Airport (PNS), Pensacola, Fla.
- Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW), Ft. Myers, Fla.
- St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport (PIE), Clearwater, Fla.
- Tallahassee Regional Airport (TLH), Tallahassee, Fla.
- Tampa International Airport (TPA), Tampa, Fla.
- Glynco Jetport (BQK), Brunswick, Ga.
- Chicago Midway Airport (MDW), Chicago, Ill.
- O'Hare International Airport (ORD), Chicago, Ill.
- Des Moines International Airport (DSM), Des Moines, Iowa
- Mason City Municipal Airport (MCW), Mason City, Iowa
- The Eastern Iowa Airport (CID), Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- Manhattan Airport (MHK), Manhattan, Kan.
- Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI), Columbia, Md.
- Detroit Metro Wayne County Airport (DTW), Detroit, Mich.
- Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport (MSP), St. Paul, Minn.
- Hattiesburg-Laurel Regional Airport (PIB), Moselle, Miss.
- Cape Girardeau Regional Airport (CGI), Cape Girardeau, Mo.
- Columbia Regional Airport (COU), Columbia, Mo.
- Forney Army Airfield (TBN), Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo.
- Joplin Regional Airport (JLN), Joplin, Mo.
- Kirksville Regional Airport (IRK), Kirksville, Mo.
- Lambert St. Louis International Airport (STL), St. Louis, Mo.
- Lebanon Municipal Airport (LEB), West Lebanon, N.H.
- Atlantic City International (ACY), Pleasantville, N.J.
- Newark International Airport (EWR), Newark, N.J.
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), Jamaica, N.Y.
- LaGuardia Airport (LGA), Flushing, N.Y.
- Syracuse-Hancock International Airport (SYR), North Syracuse, N.Y.
- Central Nebraska Regional Airport (GRI), Grand Island, Neb.
- Eppley Airfield (OMA), Omaha, Neb.
- Lincoln Municipal Airport (LNK), Lincoln, Neb.
- McCook Municipal Airport (MCK), McCook, Neb.
- Western Nebraska Regional Airport (BFF), Gering, Neb.
- Toledo Express Airport (TOL), Swanton, Ohio
- Eugene Airport/Mahlon Sweet Field (EUG), Eugene, Ore.
- North Bend Municipal Airport (OTH), North Bend, Ore.
- Harrisburg International Airport (MDT), Middletown, Pa.
- Lehigh Valley International Airport (ABE), Allentown, Pa.
- Williamsport Regional Airport (IPT), Montoursville, Pa.
- Charleston International Airport/AFB (CHS), Charleston, S.C.
- Greenville-Spartanburg Airport (GSP), Greer, S.C.
- Hilton Head Airport (HHH), Hilton Head Island, S.C.
- Joe Foss Field (FSD), Sioux Falls, S.D.
- Memphis International Airport (MEM), Memphis, Tenn.
- Brownsville/South Padre International (BRO), Brownsville, Texas
- Midland International Airport (MAF), Midland, Texas
- Southeast Texas Regional Airport (BPT), Beaumont, Texas
- Henry E. Rohlsen Airport (STX), Christiansted, U.S. Virgin Islands
- Richmond International Airport (RIC), Richmond, Va.
- Roanoke Regional Airport (ROA), Roanoke, Va.
- Wood County Airport (PKB), Parkersburg, W.Va.
- Grant County Airport (MWH), Moses Lake, Wash.
- Spokane International Airport (GEG), Spokane, Wash.
Part-time security salaries will depend upon a screener's work schedule. Hourly wages can range from $11.30 to $16.96 depending on experience, plus locality pay. Part-time security screeners also are eligible for federal benefits including health insurance, life insurance, retirement, paid annual (vacation) and sick leave.
The amount of the premium paid for both health and life insurance and retirement as well as accrued annual (vacation) and sick leave are based upon the work schedule.
Transportation security screeners' duties include providing frontline security and protection of travelers, airports and airplanes by identifying dangerous objects in baggage and on passengers. Their job is to prevent those objects from being transported onto aircraft by utilizing diverse, cutting edge electronic detection and imaging equipment, as well as using the lessons learned from a concentrated training curriculum.
Recruitment of potential candidates is the first step in the deployment of federal screeners. Candidates need to apply on-line and must meet the minimum requirements under the law. Candidates are then assessed, and if hired, are required to successfully complete 40 hours of classroom instruction and 60 hours of on-the-job training. The entire process takes several weeks.
All candidates must meet minimum qualification requirements established by law including:
- U.S. citizen or U.S. national.
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent, or 1 year of security or aviation screening experience.
- English proficiency.
- Pass a background check.
- For additional information regarding TSA, please visit our website at www.tsa.gov.