WASHINGTON - The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is accepting job applications for full-time and part-time security screener jobs with federal benefits at select airports.
"TSA is seeking men and women with various backgrounds and experience who are looking to serve their community by helping secure the nation's airports," said Rear Adm. David M. Stone, Acting Administrator of TSA. "TSA is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage all interested parties, including women, minorities and seniors, to apply."
TSA is recruiting full-time screeners at these airports (larger airports are highlighted in bold):
- Denver International Airport (DEN), Denver, Colo. (Both full-time and part-time)
- Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL), Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
- Newark International Airport (EWR), Newark, N.J. (Both full-time and part-time)
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), Jamaica, N.Y. (Both full-time and part-time)
- Syracuse-Hancock International Airport (SYR), North Syracuse, N.Y.
- Philadelphia International Airport (PHL), Philadelphia, Pa.
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW), DFW Airport, Texas
TSA is recruiting part-time screeners at these airports (larger airports are highlighted in bold):
- Burbank-Glendale-Pasadena Airport (BUR), Burbank, Calif.
- John Wayne Airport (SNA), Santa Ana, Calif.
- Long Beach Daugherty Field Airport (LGB), Long Beach, Calif.
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), Los Angeles, Calif.
- Ontario International Airport (ONT, Ontario, Calif.
- Gainesville Regional Airport (GNV), Gainesville, Fla.
- Jacksonville International Airport (JAX), Jacksonville, Fla.
- Miami International Airport (MIA), Miami, Fla.
- Panama City-Bay County International Airport (PFN), Panama City, Fla.
- Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW), Ft. Myers, Fla.
- West Palm Beach International Airport (PBI), West Palm Beach, Fla.
- Honolulu International Airport (HNL), Honolulu, Hawaii
- Gary Regional Airport (GYY), Gary, Ind.
- Detroit Metro Wayne County Airport (DTW), Detroit, Mich.
- Buffalo Niagara International Airport (BUF), Cheektowago, N.Y.
- McCarran International Airport (LAS), Las Vegas, Nev.
- Youngstown-Warren Regional Airport (YNG), Vienna, Ohio
- Enid Woodring Municipal Airport (WDG), Enid, Okla.
- Florence Regional Airport (FLO), Florence, S.C.
- Aberdeen Regional Airport (ABR), Aberdeen, S.D.
- Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport (PHF), Newport News, Va.
- Norfolk International Airport (ORF), Norfolk, Va.
Full-time security salaries can range from $23,600 to $35,400 depending upon experience, plus locality pay.
They also receive federal benefits including health insurance, life insurance, retirement, paid vacation and sick leave.
Part-time security salaries will depend upon a screener's work schedule. Hourly wages can range from $11.30 to $16.96 depending on experience, plus locality pay. Part-time security screeners also are eligible for federal benefits including health insurance, life insurance, retirement, paid annual (vacation) and sick leave.
The amount of the premium paid for both health and life insurance and retirement as well as accrued annual (vacation) and sick leave are based upon the work schedule.
Transportation security screeners' duties include providing frontline security and protection of travelers, airports and airplanes by identifying dangerous objects in baggage and on passengers. Their job is to prevent those objects from being transported onto aircraft by utilizing diverse, cutting edge electronic detection and imaging equipment, as well as using the lessons learned from a concentrated training curriculum.
Recruitment of potential candidates is the first step in the deployment of federal screeners. Candidates need to apply on-line and must meet the minimum requirements under the law. Candidates are then assessed, and if hired, are required to successfully complete 40 hours of classroom instruction and 60 hours of on-the-job training. The entire process takes several weeks.
All candidates must meet minimum qualification requirements established by law including:
- U.S. citizen or U.S. national.
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent, or 1 year of security or aviation screening experience.
- English proficiency.
- Pass a background check.