LOS ANGELES — The Transportation Security Administration, Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and Southwest Airlines today announced the opening of a third application site for TSA Pre✓®, an expedited screening program that allows travelers to leave on their shoes, light outerwear and belt, keep their laptop in its case and keep 3-1-1 compliant liquids/gels in a carry-on bag.
The TSA Pre✓® application process allows U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents to pre-enroll online at tsa.gov and visit an application center — three are located at LAX — to provide biographic information (e.g. name, date of birth, address, etc.), fingerprints, valid required identity and citizenship/immigration documentation and an application fee of $85 for a five-year membership. Once approved, travelers will receive a Known Traveler Number and will have the opportunity to utilize TSA Pre✓® lanes at security checkpoints nationwide.
“The application process increases the availability of TSA Pre✓® benefits to a broader population of travelers nationwide,” said TSA Administrator John S. Pistole. “TSA Pre✓® is enabling us to move away from a one-size-fits-all approach to transportation security, as we look for more opportunities to provide the most effective security in the most efficient way.”
“As we approach the busy holiday travel season this is one more way Southwest Airlines is committing to our customers,” said Southwest Airlines Executive Vice President & Chief People & Administrative Officer Jeff Lamb. “As evidenced by our $508-million modernization project, LAX is important to Southwest Airlines. Housing a TSA Pre✓® center in our terminal is just another great convenience we’re proud to offer our Los Angeles-area customers.”
TSA has opened more than 300 application centers across the country, including 26 airport locations served by Southwest Airlines:
- Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
- Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG)
- Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE)
- Denver International Airport (DEN)
- Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW)
- Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)
- Indianapolis International Airport (IND)
- John Wayne Airport (SNA)
- LaGuardia Airport (LGA)
- Lambert–St. Louis International Airport (STL)
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
- McCarran International Airport (LAS)
- Memphis International Airport (MEM)
- Minneapolis–Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
- Nashville International Airport (BNA)
- Orlando International Airport (MCO)
- Palm Beach International Airport (PBI)
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
- Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT)
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)
- Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
- Spokane International Airport (GEG)
- Tampa International Airport (TPA)
- Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)
Walk-in appointments will be honored on a first-come, first-served basis. In order to secure an appointment, passengers are encouraged to pre-enroll at tsa.gov.
As always, TSA continues to incorporate random and unpredictable security measures throughout the airport and no individual will be guaranteed expedited screening.