LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and Louisville International Airport would like to remind passengers to expect higher than usual passenger volume starting this weekend as travelers return home from the 2015 Kentucky Derby.
Officials expect Sunday, May 3, to be the busiest travel day of the year at Louisville International Airport (SDF), with more than double the usual number of departing passengers. Officials anticipate heavy passenger volume throughout the day Monday, May 4, as well.
Because of the increase in the number of passengers and checked baggage, TSA and the Louisville Regional Airport Authority are urging passengers departing after 9 a.m. Sunday to arrive at the airport two hours prior to their departure.
To accommodate visitors flying out in the days following the Kentucky Derby, TSA will increase staffing to ensure efficient screening.
Other travel tips for passengers:
- Passengers traveling without checked baggage can bypass the ticket counters and save time by printing their boarding passes at home or utilizing their airlines mobile app.
- If a passenger is eligible for expedited screening, a TSA Pre✓® indicator will be embedded in the barcode of the boarding pass so that when they scan the boarding pass at the checkpoint, the passenger may be referred to a TSA Pre✓® lane. Participating airlines will also print a TSA Pre✓® indicator directly on the boarding pass so passengers will know in advance that they have been cleared for expedited screening. Eligible passengers should utilize the TSA Pre✓® lane in order to receive expedited screening.
- Liquids, gels, aerosols, creams and pastes must be 3.4 ounces (100 ml) or less and all bottles must fit in one quart-size plastic bag and be placed in a bin for screening.
- Souvenir bottles of Kentucky bourbon in bottles larger than 3.4 oz. must be transported in checked baggage. Louisville International Airport offers a complimentary wrapping service to cushion breakable items so that they can be transported safely in checked baggage. There will be two wrapping stations, staffed by the airport’s Volunteer Ambassadors, located near the airline counters on the east and west sides of the ticketing lobby.
- Passengers are encouraged to use the airport’s mobile website to access flight status, schedules and airline contact information.
- Many of the hats worn at the Kentucky Derby are ornate and delicate. Passengers placing these hats in checked baggage should carefully pack or box them to avoid damage.
- For further questions about TSA procedures and upcoming travel, please call the TSA Contact Center at 1-866-289-9673.
- Travelers or families of passengers with disabilities and medical conditions may call the TSA Cares toll-free helpline, 1-855-787-2227, 72 hours prior to traveling with any questions about screening policies, procedures and what to expect at the security checkpoint.
For assistance in determining what is and is not allowed travelers baggage, use the TSA “Can I Bring My?” tool.
Additional travel tips are available on the TSA website and blog.