USA Flag

Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security Transportation Security Administration Seal

Transportation Security Administration

TSA Pre✓® Application Program

The TSA Pre✓® application program allows eligible travelers the opportunity to receive expedited screening at approximately 200 participating U.S. airports while traveling on 67 participating airlines.

Why join?

  • Travel with confidence and enjoy a more predictable experience.
  • It’s a convenient, more efficient security screening process.

No need to remove

  • Precheck IconsShoes
  • Belts
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag
  • Light jacket/outerwear
  • Laptop from bag

How to Apply

  1. Visit to learn more about the TSA Pre✓® application program. You can pre-enroll and make an appointment online or walk-in at an application center to apply.
  2. To apply for TSA Pre✓®, travelers must go in person to an application center to provide required information, documentation and fingerprints.
  3. Applicants pay a non-refundable $85 fee to cover the cost of background checks.
  4. Individuals who apply directly through the TSA Pre✓® Application Program will receive written notification within two to three weeks after the in-person appointment. Many individuals are approved several days after completing the in-person appointment, so you are encouraged to check your status online.
  5. Travelers with a known traveler number begin to enjoy expedited screening at participating airports nationwide.
  6. Add the known traveler number to each participating airline profile or provide it when making air travel reservations. The name used when applying for TSA Pre✓® must match the name used when booking travel.

How It WorksBoarding Pass Example

A TSA Pre✓® indicator may be on the boarding pass when a traveler is eligible for expedited screening on a particular trip.

Application Center

There are over 350 TSA Pre✓® application centers nationwide, including the following airport locations:

Phoenix (PHX)
Little Rock (LIT)
Los Angeles (LAX)
Sacramento (SMF)
Santa Ana (SNA)
San Francisco (SFO)
Denver (DEN)
Windsor Locks (BDL)
Fort Myers (RSW)
Miami (MIA)
Orlando (MCO)
Palm Beach (PBI)
Tampa (TPA)
Atlanta (ATL)
Honolulu (HNL)

Chicago (MDW, ORD)
Indianapolis (IND)
Hebron (CVG)
Baltimore (BWI)
Boston Logan (BOS)
Detroit (DTW)
Minneapolis-Saint Paul (MSP)
Rochester (RST)
St. Louis (STL)
Las Vegas (LAS)
New York
East Elmhurst (LGA)
Jamaica (JFK)
Syracuse (SYR)

North Carolina
Charlotte (CLT)
Raleigh–Durham (RDU)
Cleveland (CLE)
Pittsburgh (PIT)
Memphis (MEM)
Nashville (BNA)
Dallas (DFW)
Houston (HOU, IAH)
Salt Lake City (SLC)
Arlington (DCA)
Dulles (IAD)
Richmond (RIC)
Spokane (GEG)

There are over 300 off airport locations. To find the location nearest you, visit

Required Identification Documentation

U.S. Citizens, U.S. Nationals, or Lawful Permanent Residents

You must provide an original or certified copy* of identity/citizenship status documentation during the application process and the names on all documents must match exactly with the name provided on the application. If you have legally changed your name, you must provide an original or certified name change document (such as marriage certificates and divorce decrees) in addition to the required documentation.

Please bring one of the documents in List A to an application center.

If you do not have a document from List A, please see List B documents.

List A

  • Unexpired U.S. Passport (book or card)
  • Unexpired Enhanced Tribal Card (ETC)
  • Unexpired Free and Secure Trade (FAST) Card
  • Unexpired U.S. Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) or Unexpired Enhanced Identification Card (EID)
  • Permanent Resident Card (I-551) often referred to as a “Green Card”
  • Unexpired Foreign Passport AND immigrant visa with I-551 annotation of “Upon Endorsement Serves as Temporary I-551 Evidencing Permanent Residence of 1 Year”
  • Unexpired Re-entry Permit (I-327)

*An original or certified copy of a document must be issued by a Federal, State, Tribal, county, municipal authority, or outlying possession bearing an official seal.

List B

At least two documents are required if you do not have a document from List A. The documents must include:

  1. a valid photo ID, and
  2. a document that meets citizenship requirements. (e.g. one document from each column below)

Valid Photo ID

  • Unexpired driver’s license issued by a State or outlying possession of the U.S.
  • Unexpired temporary driver’s license plus expired driver’s license (constitutes one document)
  • Unexpired photo ID card issued by the federal government or by a State or outlying possession of the U.S. This must include a federal agency, State or State agency seal or logo (such as a State university ID). Permits are not considered valid identity documents (such as gun permits).
  • Unexpired U.S. military ID card
  • Unexpired U.S. retired military ID card
  • Unexpired U.S. military dependent’s card
  • Native American tribal document with photo
  • Unexpired Department of Homeland Security (DHS)/ Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)
  • Unexpired Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC)
  • Expired U.S. passport within 12 months of expiration**

 ---------- AND ----------

Valid Proof of Citizenship

  • U.S. Birth Certificate
  • U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or N-561)
  • U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (N-550 or N-570)
  • U.S. Citizen Identification Card (I-179 or I-197)
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)
  • Certification of Report of Birth Abroad (DS-1350 or FS-545)
  • Expired U.S. passport within 12 months of expiration**

**An expired U.S. passport may not be presented by itself. It must be presented with at least one other List B document.

Tel: 571-227-2829 / / visit