Passenger Support Specialists
Travelers requiring special accommodations or concerned about the security screening process at the airport may ask a TSA officer or supervisor for a passenger support specialist who can provide on-the-spot assistance.
TSA offers screening information and assistance to travelers upon request through TSA Cares at (855) 787-2227. TSA Cares is designed to assist travelers with disabilities and medical conditions and others who may need additional assistance with screening. TSA Cares is staffed, to provide travelers information on what to expect during the screening process, from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday, and from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET on weekends and holiday.
Through TSA Cares, a traveler may request the services of a TSA Passenger Support Specialist (PSS), who can provide assistance through security screening. A PSS is a TSA officer who has received specialized training, including how to effectively assist and communicate with individuals with disabilities or medical conditions; and travelers who need additional screening assistance. Requesting PSS service does not exempt you from security screening.
Some situations where you may request PSS assistance may include, but are not limited to:
- Have difficulty following instructions due to a disability or medical condition.
- Have mobility limitations including difficulty standing, walking or lifting your arms.
- Use wheelchairs, mobility aids or support devices.
- Have internal/external devices or other concerns that may affect your ability to use screening technology.
- Are transporting medically necessary liquids, gels, aerosols over 3.4oz.
- Are traveling with a child who has a disability or medical condition, or is transgender.
- Are traveling with a service animal.
- Have difficulty understanding and communicating in English.
- Are traveling with religious or cultural items.
- Wear religious headwear or clothing.
- Are a Tribal traveler with cultural, sacred, spiritual items and/or ceremonial regalia and headdress.
- Have concerns regarding screening for transgender and gender diverse individuals.
- Are traveling with crematory ashes.
For airport wheelchair service, please contact your airline directly. TSA does not provide this service.
Looking for expedited screening? You’ll find that here. The PSS program does not provide expedited screening service.
You may submit your request for screening assistance using the link below:
We strongly recommended that you contact TSA Cares at least 72 hours prior to a scheduled departure to ensure timely coordination of your request.