Ten Travel Tips for Labor Day Travel: 2018

Thursday, August 30, 2018
Travel Tips Banner

Labor day is fast approaching and we’ll be falling back and resetting our clocks before we know it! Whether you’re heading back to school or taking a trip for Labor Day, we wanted to provide you with some travel tips and information to help get you through our checkpoints and to your flights as easily as possible.

1) Arrive Early - The best advice we could ever give anybody is to arrive early when you can. You never know what kind of snag you’ll run getting to the airport. Whether it’s traffic, parking, airline, or security related, there are a number of unexpected ways you could be held up. To give you an idea of how busy the airports will be, here are the projected number of travelers during the Labor Day holiday period. Friday, August 31st will be the busiest day.

Projected Travel Numbers

2) Check out Our Travel Tips - Have you visited our travel tips webpage yet? It’s chocked full of fun with travel tips that will help you plan ahead for your trip.  Learn about traveling with your pet, strollers and how not to be “that guy” at the airport checkpoint.

3) What to do if TSA Pre✓® is Not Reflected on Your Boarding Pass - If you’re looking at your boarding pass and you don’t see the TSA Pre✓® indicator even though you’re an approved trusted traveler, we’re here to help! Get live assistance by tweeting @AskTSA or messaging us via Facebook Messenger. Our AskTSA team can help resolve any issues. If you prefer to call, you can reach out to our contact center. Don’t have TSA Pre✓® yet and want to get through the line faster? You can fix that and apply for TSA Pre✓® now!

4) You Can Pack Both Liquid and Solid Medication in Your Carry-on -  One of the more popular questions we get from travelers is: “Can I travel with my medication?” The answer is yes. Liquid medications do not need to adhere to our liquid packing rules. Read our guidance on transporting your meds for all the details.

5) Helpful Tips for Traveling with Children - Did you know that children 12 and under can keep their shoes on? Read about the screening process and how to best pack for your child. Children 12 and under may also travel through the TSA Pre✓® lane if one or both of their parents have it!

Types of Razors

6) Some Shaving Razors Can Be Packed in Your Carry-on - In brief, all razors are allowed in checked bags. Disposable razors are allowed in carry-on bags, and safety razors with removable blades are not. Refer to the image above to see if your razor can be packed in your carry-on.

7) How to Travel with Liquids, Gels & Aerosols - If you’re checking a bag, make your life simple by packing liquids in your checked baggage. That way, you don’t have to worry about the liquids rule. If you’re not checking a bag, you’re allowed to take as many 3.4 ounce or smaller sized containers that will fit in one sealed, clear, quart-sized zip-top bag – and one bag per person. Make sure you take the zip-top bag out of your carry-on prior to sending it through the X-ray.

8) E-Cigarettes are Permitted in Carry-on Bags Only -  E-cigarettes and vape pens are only allowed in carry-on bags. They’re prohibited in checked bags due to their lithium battery’s propensity to catch fire. Vape juice can be packed in either carry-on or checked bags, but it must adhere to the liquid rules mentioned above when being packed in carry-on bags.

9) Ask TSA When You Need TSA Related Assistance - Have questions? Reach out to our AskTSA team via Twitter at @AskTSA or via Facebook Messenger. We have a team standing by from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET on weekdays and 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekends and holidays. If you prefer to call or submit an online form, you can reach out to our contact center weekdays from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET and weekends/holidays from 9am-7pm ET daily.

10) Contact TSA Cares if You or a Loved One Has Medical Related Questions or Concerns - Call TSA Cares toll free at 855-787-2227 if you or a family member with a disability or medical condition have questions about screening policies, procedures and what to expect at the security checkpoint 72 hours prior to traveling.

Follow @TSA on Twitter and Instagram and Like Us on Facebook. Have a question? Ask TSA on Twitter or Facebook Messenger

Bob Burns

TSA Social Media

Comments

Submitted by The "Original" RB on

And be ready to file reports with the DHS OIG when you or your children have their genitals groped by a TSA screener.

Submitted by Patdown Or Assault? on

How is a Labor Day passenger to determine whether a pat-down by TSA crosses the line into sexual assault?

Does any such line exist?

What should a Labor Day passenger who is being sexually assaulted during a pat-down do?

Submitted by SSSS For Some Reason on

So you are expecting roughly 13 million passengers to transit one or more of your little security displays. That is going to make the hundred-ish firearms you find represent what percentage of travelers, exactly? OK, that is too difficult a question so lets lump all the firearms, false-positives of the nudie-scanners, toy weapons, paper weights in the shape of a grenade, knives, and brush/cane knives you find and then express that as a percentage of travelers screened.

This is an open-book test, you can use your calculators.....

How about a helpful hint that you will close TSA pre-check at Atlanta Hartsfield airport, the busiest airport in the world, on Friday night at 9 o’clock, ON LABOR DAY WEEKEND!!! Who’s the rocket scientist that decided to do this? What a worthless, pathetic excuse for an organization you are.

Submitted by CliffOnTheRoad on

One 'dig' -- they paid you to write this? Geeezzzzz.
When one of the 10 tips is "read our tips" (#2) then there are only really 9 tips. Right?

If I don't want to experience a delay when TSA's is rumaging through people's carry-on's, would it be all right for my to make an announcement while I'm in line of "No guns. I don't want to see any guns."

How can I, or where can I read how TSA disposes of products taken from the flying public? I would like to see the better items, like sealed jars of peanut butter, on a table which arriving passengers can pick up and take home.

Submitted by The Original "RB" on

Submitted by CliffOnTheRoad on Tue, 2018-09-04 00:47
One 'dig' -- they paid you to write this? Geeezzzzz.

........................

I wouldn't trust anything that has been in the hands of TSA, especially food items.

Submitted by The Original "RB" on

Submitted by CliffOnTheRoad on Tue, 2018-09-04 00:47
One 'dig' -- they paid you to write this? Geeezzzzz.

........................

Submitted by C0FFEE on

OK, I did the math guess what? About 1/1000th of a percent of all passengers will bring a loaded weapon on the plane.

Submitted by CliffOnTheRoad on

RB made a double posting. I will assume he got the same on-screen response of "TSA.GOV" was unable to process your request. Try again later." That's what I got and why I'm revisiting on 9/10. Web site needs a little fixing, which is our complaint about the staff also. LOL

I've seen a Costco shrink-wrapped double jar of Peanut Butter (lamenting at it's loss) and I would have no problem taking it home.

Then there was the push cart of sealed wine bottles at one airport long ago. That's when I was told of the $10 a bottle disposal cost to the TSA. I seriously suspect there is no "standard procedure" and would love to have one established as well as learn the details to help control costs.

Humor: How about a TSA kisok at the airport near baggage claim for unopened items?

Are locally issued contracts for this a boom to whomever deals in them (based purely on my experience with municipal governments) or just a disservice to the traveling public which buys tickets containing taxes and fees greater than what the airline gets?

Submitted by No Caps on

This is an open-book test, you can use your calculators.....

its less than the amount of bloggers that comment on this blog. tsa needs to give up on this site instead of providing a handful of individuals a place push their agendas.

Submitted by SSSS For Some Reason on

"... instead of providing a handful of individuals a place push their agendas."

So let me get this straight..... It's OK for a government agency to promote an agenda and to use government resources (meaning tax dollars).

But it's not OK for the people providing those resources (meaning tax dollars) to try and stop that agenda?

I have some interesting things to call you but I will refrain since this may be mothers and children reading this site.

Submitted by Nocaps on

Submitted by SSSS For Some Reason on Thu, 2018-09-13 13:48
"... instead of providing a handful of individuals a place push their agendas."

why hold back keyboard security expert?

Submitted by SSSS For Some Reason on

"...why hold back keyboard security expert"

Because I don't work for the TSA so when I violate the commenting rules my posts don't get approved. That is a privilege you guys reserve for yourself.

Submitted by Nocaps on

Submitted by SSSS For Some Reason on Mon, 2018-09-17 20:29
"...why hold back keyboard security expert"

ah yes, i don't agree with you so i am one of them, i never get tired of this one on here. i still want to hear your expert security plan for airport security that will appeal to congressional oversight.

Submitted by SSSS For Some Reason on

"... i still want to hear your expert security plan for airport security that will appeal to congressional oversight."

and I am excited to hear your explanation of when Congress gained authority over airports.

And in direct answer to your question we should go back to pre 2001 security protocols and eliminate the TDS entirely. Nothing the TDS does now would have prevented the attacks of September 11 and nothing the TDS does is preventing the next similar attack.

Airports provide the security, the airlines pay for it. It's that simple.