The Security Training for Surface Transportation Employees Final Rule includes four major requirements:
- Each covered party must notify TSA of applicability per 49 CFR § 1570.105
- Each covered party must designate security coordinators and alternates per 49 CFR § 1570.201.
- Each covered party must report significant security concerns to TSA per 49 CFR § 1570.203. Significant security concerns must be reported telephonically to the Transportations Security Operations Center at 1-866-615-5150.
- Owner/operators must provide training to security-sensitive employees addressing how to prepare, observe, assess and respond to terrorist-related threats and/or incidents in accordance with 49 CFR Sections 1580.113, 1582.113, and 1584.113 as appropriate.
For a description of the mode-specific security-sensitive job functions see the mode-specific appendices:
- Freight Railroads – Appendix B to 49 CFR part 1580
- Public Transportation and Passenger Railroads – Appendix B to 49 CFR part 1582
- Over-the-Road Bus – Appendix B to 49 CFR part 1584