Eligible law enforcement officers may qualify to fly armed. Per federal regulation, an officer must meet the following requirements:
- Be a federal law enforcement officer or a full-time municipal, county or state officer who is a government agency employee.
- Be sworn and commissioned to enforce criminal or immigration statutes.
- Be authorized by the employing agency to have the weapon in connection with assigned duties.
- Have completed the training program.
In addition to the above requirements, the officer must need to have the weapon accessible from the time he or she would otherwise check the weapon until the time it would be claimed after deplaning.The need to have the weapon accessible must be determined by the employing agency.
State, local, territorial, tribal and approved railroad law enforcement officers flying armed must submit a national law enforcement telecommunications system message prior to travel. More information on this procedure is contained in the training program.
To request the training material, you must:
- Be a full-time law enforcement officer meeting the instructor qualification standards of the agency.
- Send the request from a government email.
- Include in the body of the email your name and contact information, your agency’s name and address and your supervisor’s name and contact information.