The Intermodal Security Training and Exercise Program, also known as I-STEP, provides exercise, training, and security planning tools and services to the transportation sector.
I-STEP is a federal exercise program focused on security in the nation’s transportation sector. Its mission is to enhance security and reduce risk across the transportation network. Working in partnership with transportation operators, I-STEP enables security partners to continuously improve the risk posture in the nation’s transportation systems. Lessons learned from I-STEP exercises, training events and workshops help shape national transportation security policy.
The modes of transportation supported under the program include:
- Mass transit and passenger rail
- Freight rail
- Port and intermodal
- Highway and motor carrier
The program assists transportation partners to build and sustain security preparedness to protect travelers, enhance national resilience, and identify capability gaps and needed resources. Benefits include:
- Enhance security capabilities – Facilitated exercises and training strengthen industry security plans, emergency procedures, and sharpen skills in incident management.
- Build partnerships – Collaborate with transportation system owners and operators, their security personnel and emergency responders, as well as local law enforcement and government officials.
- Gain insights in transportation security – Align program requirements with security strategies and gain a deeper understanding of transportation security lessons learned and best practices.
The program helps transportation operators establish a risk-based approach to all operations to identify, manage and mitigate risk. We provide two kinds of exercise support:
- Exercise Management Services – We assist transportation operators build and convene exercise planning teams with security partners to design, conduct and evaluate intelligence-driven, risk-based security exercises to enhance security preparedness and resilience.
- Exercise Information System – This online exercise tool guides government and industry users through the exercise planning process and provides resources to design, document and evaluate exercises for all transportation modes.
For additional information, email your inquiry.